Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAX 1209: Aaarrrgghh!!! Everything's gone!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2004 :  6:48:51 PM  Show Profile
Hello everybody, and happy new year!! I'm just new to this beta program and have installed build 1209. I've read somewhere else about the installation process rebuilding the menus, but what i wasn't expecting is a complete resetting of all the UI - toolbars included. I had some custom toolbars created, some buttons added and removed from the standard toolbars, even some button images redefined, and everything is lost for good. I find this quite annoying, but I can stand it if it happens just once. My question is: will it happen again everytime I install a new build over an older one? If this is the case, I'll have to try and save some registry settings to restore them after install to see if I can save something.

Erik Olofsson
Tomato Guru

111 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2004 :  6:53:06 PM  Show Profile
It's probably a bad idea to try to save the settings, but if you want to try I think they are located under:

Documents and Settings\\%user%\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\7.1\and
Documents and Settings\\%user%\\Application Data\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\7.1\

Cutting Edge Project Management
http://www.hansoft.se
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2004 :  8:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Don't know about .NET, but it's okay to do under VC6: here's an article about it:

http://www.codeguru.com/tips/RecoveringLostToolbar.html
Go to Top of Page

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2004 :  9:10:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you. The article about VC6 has some replies that give some hints about how to do it in VS .NET. I have tried it for installing build 1210. I just had to backup and restore devenv.xml and CmdUI.prf and everything worked fine. I guess the only problem could happen if there were significant changes in the VAX toolbar itself from one build to another, but that could probably be solved by reseting it with the option included in the VAX optios dialog.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2004 :  05:38:52 AM  Show Profile
I still haven't installed VA X. Are you saying that installing it will reset all my toolbars, not just the VA one?

If this is true, I hope the WT team will find a way to avoid this. I once installed another plugin that did this. I was so angry that I uninstalled it immediately.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2004 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile
FWIW, I've installed every Beta version of VAX, and it's never messed with VC's toolbars (for me). Sounds like it did for pabloari, though... but I would guess he's the only one, or we would've all jumped on this thread. So, it's probably safe for you to try (and you can always backup your UI settings before you install it, right? ).

(It did, however, dump all of my existing VA6 settings, which was a little annoying, but hey, it's a Beta...)
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2004 :  1:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Nope, it did this everytime a new beta showed up (and I am also installing every beta since 1205)...
EVERYTIME my Toobars are gone, except Standard and another one which I cannot remeber right now. I'll tell you on the next build I'm installing...
I, too, live the way Larry does (hey, after all it's still a beta) and I am not angry at anyone, but I think this should be fixed in the first public-release (if possible)!

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Jan 05 2004 1:44:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2004 :  01:11:53 AM  Show Profile
Larry, I guess you're using VC6 only. I was talking about VS .NET, and I'm pretty sure it is happenning for everyone everytime. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong about this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000