Feature Requests
 Syntax Coloring - FIXED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David_Kelly

9 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  03:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Additionally to the color, it would be helpful when the style could also be set: bold, italic, underline

Edited by - David_Kelly on Feb 11 2013 12:52:39 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  12:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can do this to a limited degree, via the options:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Local symbols in Bold
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Stable symbols in Italic

In newer versions of Visual Studio you can also make some changes in the IDE's Font and Color settings.

Underlining is reserved for indicating errors, either mistyped symbols or spelling errors in comments:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/misspelled.asp
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/mistyped.asp

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

David_Kelly

9 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2013 :  4:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for answering. as you wrote "limited"..
I would like to make all those things bold or italic, for which I can set colors in the VA dialog.
and with underline I meant not the red wavy line, but a continous stroke line
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  4:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making these bold or italic will break the existing local symbols in bold, and stable symbols in italic.

Which IDE are you using? VS2012 offers quite a lot of control over the colours and formatting of various symbol types, which might help you here.

Go to Top of Page

David_Kelly

9 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  03:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Making these bold or italic will break the existing local symbols in bold, and stable symbols in italic.

This would not affect me, as I set the colors properly. I want all symbols which are somehow known in bold. Italic is not so important but solid line. When using small italic fonts they are simply unreadable.

quote:
Which IDE are you using? VS2012 offers quite a lot of control over the colours and formatting of various symbol types, which might help you here.

VS2010
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2013 :  4:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the slow reply.

In VS2010 some of the underlining comes from the IDE, we don't have any control over this. Trying to put solid underlines in along with the wavy underlines is going to clash at best, and probably render both sets of underlining much less visible.

Small italic fonts is an issue, stable symbols in italic only works well with some fonts and sizes.

Setting all symbols to bold should be easy enough in VS2010, by using the IDE font and color settings, but this is not going to be all known symbols. Do you want all known symbols to be bold to make them more readable? Known symbols should be clear already since they are coloured according to their type, while unknown symbols are underlined.

Go to Top of Page

David_Kelly

9 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2013 :  06:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seem I did not explain well..
I simply want to have two additional checkboxes (bold + underline) close to the color entries "Classes,..", "Variables", "Preprocessor.." and "Methods". Those are in the "Fonts and Colors" dialog.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  10:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately underlining is just going to cause problems, since this is going to interferer with the existing underlining that the IDE already does.

Why would you want to make everything bold? Isn't it quicker and easier to just increase the font size in the IDE by one or two points, if it is a matter of readability?

Go to Top of Page

David_Kelly

9 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  08:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Why would you want to make everything bold? Isn't it quicker and easier to just increase the font size in the IDE by one or two points, if it is a matter of readability?

What an idea to increase the font size.. Why you don't simply reply "No, I don't like to do it", then situation would be clearer to me. I give up.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  9:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried to explain why there is a problem with underlining in the IDE. What I fail to understand is why making all symbols that VA can understand bold, which appears to be what you are asking for, would help.

What is the difference with simply going into the IDE options and setting everything to bold? In addition this would stop you using bold for local variables. Am I missing something here?

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  11:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In VS2010+, bold can be set for a number of VA color elements via Tools | Options | Environment | Fonts and Colors.
In the Display items list, scroll to the items that start with "VA X"

That dialog does not support italic or underline options.
case=72150 is a feature request for exposing more font options supported by the editor.
Go to Top of Page

David_Kelly

9 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  12:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SOLVED! Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000