Technical Support
 All VAX options grayed out at startup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shaedyn

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  1:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere around 75% of the visual studio instances I launch have all of the visual assist options grayed out as shown in the attached image.

It may be something timing dependent, since the results are non-deterministic when launching multiple instances of the same solution with the same environment. I have no other visual studio extensions installed.

It seems to be something related to my environment setup, since it can repro on any instance of visual studio from within that environment, regardless of which (if any) project is loaded. I haven't seen a repro when launching in a basic environment (straight from start menu). The only argument that I'm passing in to VS is /useenv:

"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe" /useenv

This issue has been around for at least a year, and repros in both VS2010 and VS2012. The workaround is to close and relaunch visual studio as many times as it takes for VAX to load properly.

What environment variables or project settings does VAX rely on? I have a fairly clean install of windows (server 2008 R2). Let me know what other information I can provide to help you narrow this down.

-Matt

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  5:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you press shift when clicking on the taskbar to launch additional instances of Visual Studio on Windows 7, it disables all extensions, which is a Visual Studio feature.

Try launching with middle button or right click and select Visual Studio from the list to start new instances to avoid this effect.
Go to Top of Page

shaedyn

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  5:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey accord, thanks for the quick response. I'm actually hitting this when launching from a shell with the command line that I posted above:

"c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe" /useenv
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  1:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm actually hitting this when launching from a shell

You mean hitting shift by "hitting this" (e.g. shift+enter for whatever reason), or you just refer to the fact that you use the above command to start VS from command line?
I will test this command from shell in a VM to see if I'm able to reproduce the problem here.
Which version of Visual Assist are you using?
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  2:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm not able to repro so far, but before I dig deeper, can you please try turning on logging, reproduce the problem and send the log files in to see if it gives us a clue about what is happening?
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

You can send in the files using the following form:
http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Please paste the URL of this topic into the description field so we can match it up.

Edited by - accord on Jul 19 2013 2:17:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

shaedyn

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, "hitting this" meaning reproducing the bug. I'm doing a direct command line launch. I'm currently running build 1940, but this bug has issue has been around in all builds for the past year or so, including 1946.

I believe the issue lies somewhere with my environment, since:

- It happens with or without loading a solution file directly from command line
- It does not reproduce from a basic windows shell, only from a prompt with my environment setup

Do you know which environment variables VAX relies on? That could help narrow down the cause.
Go to Top of Page

shaedyn

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2013 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Logs submitted
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  10:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The discussion has been continued via email.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000