New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  11:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Okay, my co-worker has a file checked out, and is seeing what we think is an actual, honest-to-God compiler bug in .NET 2003. I'd like to quickly mark that file as RW at my desk, and try the same thing he's doing. It would be nice if VAX had a menu item to toggle the Read-Only flag.

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  1:48:50 PM  Show Profile
VS2003.NET | Tools | Options... | Environment | Documents -> check "Allow editing of read-only files, warn when attempt to save"

Thats all you need.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  2:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, but that doesn't do what I need.

The problem is that my co-worker, "Bob", has file "Foo.h" checked out. On my disk, of course, "Foo.h" is Read-Only. I should mention that I have "Tools, Options, Source Control, Prompt for Checkout when checked-in items are edited" set.

So if I try to edit "Foo.h", I get the message box "File foo.h is already checked out by another user. Continue?" I don't trust VSS near enough to try having two people checking the same file out at once - (call me paranoid, but I can barely get then damn thing to work right with only one person checking out at once. ) So I'm stuck with having to find it in Explorer, right click on it, uncheck the checkbox, and then get back to VS.

So what I really want is just a quick way to toggle that R/O attribute on my disk...
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  2:26:44 PM  Show Profile
ok, got it. Although I had never any troubles with VSS and multiple checkouts (given that it is properly set up and configured), it should not be too hard to make a small macro that does the trick.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  11:01:59 PM  Show Profile
How about right-clicking on the folder that contains the file (in the solution explorer), selecting "Add new..." and then right-clicking on the file from there? That would likely be quite a bit faster than navigating all the way from "My Computer" in explorer. But, then again, if you have a complex file heirarchy for your code tree, maybe not too much faster....

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000