Disable auto correct?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tjcbs
Tomato Guru

104 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2021 :  3:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me auto correct is completely broken. This happens all the time: I will type:

for (int i = 0; i

At this point, when I type space, VA insists on replacing 'i' with 'I' (and for good measure introduces a half second lag while doing so). If I hit ctrl-z and space again, it will still happen. The workaround is to type the comparison operator without a space. AFAIK 'I' is not even a valid symbol.

I'm also suspecting that auto correct is responsible for my performance problems. How do I turn it off?

W10, VS 2017, VA 10.9.2393.0

Edited by - tjcbs on Oct 06 2021 3:31:58 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2021 :  05:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously this should not be happening. As a first step, can you please try turning Off:

VA Options -> Editor -> Repair case

which is a good candidate for the trigger here. It should not cause a performance problem like this, and it should not suggest an invalid symbol, but first lets check and see if this is actually the problem trigger.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tjcbs
Tomato Guru

104 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2021 :  3:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right on both counts. It fixes the problem, and is unrelated to the larger performance issue I am experiencing.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2021 :  06:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, at least we have managed to fix one problem you are seeing. It would be interesting to try and understand why repair case is correcting the local variable when it shouldn't, but for now the performance problem is where we need to focus.

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

If you load Windows Task Manager in detailed view, how much memory is the visual studio process using?

Are you seeing performance problems when opening code files and simply scrolling through code files? Or is it "only" when editing that you see the problem?

Can you please check the Performance tab in Windows Task Manger in detailed view, and see if there are any obvious triggers for the performance problem? The CPU being very active is an obvious place to check, but if you have a lot of cores and only one core is busy this won't show up so well here.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000