New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Finalspace
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2022 :  03:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two feature requests for "Find Symbol" (Shift+Alt+S):

1.) Add a option for searching in the current file only and only parse the current file or add a additional search window for that

This is the number one feature that i want the most. Alt-M does not work for me, due to several reasons:
- Preprocessor defines does not show up in there at all
- Its slower than find symbol
- Its not a separate window that is centered in the current source file

2.) Add a option for showing a preview for the found elements or at least show the doxygen brief documentation for element

I am building platform independent C99 libraries and have tons of functions with the same name at least twice up to 10 times - the first one, always the declaration in the header and all others the implementation for specific platform/compiler combination guarded by processor conditions.

To fast find such functions, each implementation have a //! documentation title defined, so i can differentiate it.
But in "Find Symbol" i see all 10 functions in there without any additional informations, so i cannot select the correct one :-(

C99 Single-Header-File Platform Abstraction Library: https://libfpl.org

Edited by - Finalspace on Jan 30 2022 03:19:14 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2022 :  11:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First an easy answer, if you open the Alt-M list and right click to show the filtering options, one is:

Include defines

if this is turned Off, does turning it On help? Having downloaded your rather large header file to test, turning this on makes sure that the defines are shown in the Alt-M list, which is a start. Just blindly prodding the list doesn't tell me how well this helps though, since the defines may be all filtered out for some function names.

Alt-M is designed to help you quickly jump to a specific function in the current file, so in a sense it is designed to be "simple", but it doesn't seem very well suited to this case. Adding a tooltip for the current item is a very sensible point, I have put in a feature request for this:

case=147765

In the Find Symbol dialog, are you aware that if you right click in the list you can turn On showing the File and Directory the entry comes from? This doesn't by its self filter the list to a single file, but it does make it a lot easier to check if the entry you are looking at comes from the file you want.

Why are you looking for a separate window? Find Symbol is a dialog, but it is modal, so you cannot interact with your file while it is open, which is a property that it shares with the Alt-M list.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000