Pause Parsing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

user23487
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2022 :  03:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can we have an option to pause parsing in Visual Assist?

For example, I've opened a reference UE4 project, and VA has already parsed all my project files. It's now scanning all includes, which in a project I'm actually going to work on, is fine, and helpful.

In this particular case, I just want to look at 2 or 3 headers, maybe Alt+G through to the implementations of these functions in the cpp files, and then go back to my new project.

I don't want to disable parsing, or change my settings, nor do I want VA to not parse this project at all, I just want VA to not scan right this moment; I don't need it right now.

Can we have a "Pause/Suspend Parsing" functionality? Maybe have VA remember which projects have parsing paused?
Or maybe a way to prompt VA to deep scan a project's includes, so I can switch to the lighter UE4 scan functionality, but still have the ability to prompt VA that I'm going to want to delve into some obscure engine headers on this project?

Maybe both? :O

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2022 :  05:47:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The general problem here is that until VA has parsed your solution, it doesn't know what is going on, and cannot really do much of anything, so we make parsing a priority. Alt-G is one of the VA features that requires we have parsed files to work.

If this is a very common problem, then turning On:

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project

may well help, but this requires changing VA settings, which is the very thing you don't want to do.

Are these projects using different versions of Unreal Engine, or are they the same version?

VA should recognize that it has already parsed Unreal Engine, and not need to parse it again, if it is the same version. This gets more complex if you are opening more than one instance of the IDE at a time, since each open instance of the IDE has its own copy of VA's symbol database.

Are you using a current version of Visual Assist or an older version? We have added several updates to improve parsing performance and behaviour with Unreal Engine in recent versions. The obvious setting that would help is:

VA Options -> Unreal Engine -> Index plugins (requires restart) = None / Referenced / All

The next thought is to check where you have installed Unreal Engine to, is it installed under:

"C:\Program Files\"

or is installed to a different location or drive? There is a known bug that VA's Unreal Engine handing doens't work quite as well as it should if VA is installed outside of this directory tree, but there is a work around for this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000