New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gilamor

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2023 :  05:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I had a working licensed version of VA on my pc. Then, I installed VA_X_setup2458. When open VS 2019, I was asked for registration, but the existing license did not work, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled the old one (I tried both 2358 and 2393). VA appears as enabled in VS 2019's extension manager, but does not really work and there is no popup window asking me to register :-(
How ca I register without this popup window???

Thanks!
Gila

gilamor

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2023 :  05:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did all this stuff with deleting .../AppData/Roaming/Embarcadero
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2023 :  05:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any evidence that VA is loading when you load the IDE? If not, then I think I know what is going wrong here. This can happen if there is a corruption problem in your IDE profile settings.

Please only try this if there is no sign of VA loading, no menu, no toolbar, no sign of VA.

The first step is to export your default profiles IDE settings, since the fix resets your current settings.� This is done via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Now you need to close all instances of the IDE and locate the directory where your default profile is stored.� This will be:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_xxxxx
where xxxxx is a hash, so its machine specific.� There should only be one directory fitting this pattern.

If you look inside this directory you should see a file called "privateregistry.bin".� You need to delete this file, which will be recreated next time you load the IDE. You will either get the default IDE settings or your online synced IDE settings, if you have enabled this option.� So you may well want to import your exported IDE settings, to restore your preferred settings.

When you do so all of your installed extensions will still be installed, but they will be Disabled, so you need to go into the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and Enable them.� This will require an IDE restart to take effect.

At this point Visual Assist should be active and working normally.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

gilamor

Israel
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2023 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
You've made me so much happier :-)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2023 :  06:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, I am glad this works. It happens very occasionally, but so far I have no idea what is triggering this problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000