Technical Support
 Visual Assist installer not working in VS2022
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomatoSauce

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2024 :  02:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've recently upgraded to VS2022 (17.9.1) and tried to upgrade to the latest version of visual studio which my license will allow, which is Visual Assist Build 2440. From the release notes, this version should support VS2022. When I try to run the installer exe, it does nothing. I noticed other people mentioned this issue on this forum, and the official workaround was to change the properties of the exe such that it could run in compatibility mode with windows 7. I did this and was able to launch the installer. I selected the checkbox to install it in VS2022 (I do still have 2019 installed too). But once the installation is complete I open VS2022 and I have no access to any VA features. Essentially it has not installed. When I check my extensions in VS2022 it is listed as being installed, but there are no toolbar options, nothing. Is this version of Visual Assist simply not compatible with my version of Visual Studio 2022?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2024 :  08:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this. Since you are installing an older version of Visual Assist on a newer version of Visual Studio you are running into a known problem. Thankfully it is simple to fix.

The first step is to export your default profiles IDE settings, since the fix resets your current settings. This is done via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Now you need to close all instances of the IDE and locate the directory where your default profile is stored. For Visual Studio 2022 this will be the directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\17.0_xxxxx

where xxxxx is a hash, so its machine specific. There should only be one directory matching this pattern.

If you look inside this directory you should see a file called "privateregistry.bin". You need to delete this file, which will be recreated next time you load the default profile. You will either get the default IDE settings or your online synced IDE settings, if you have enabled this option. So you may well want to import your exported IDE settings, to restore your preferred settings.

When you do so all of your installed extensions will still be installed, but they will be Disabled, so you need to go into the extension manager dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and Enable your extensions. This will require an IDE restart to take effect.

At this point Visual Assist should be active and working normally.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Feb 28 2024 08:13:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

TomatoSauce

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2024 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thorough and clear response. I tested this fix on VS2019 (where I was having the exact same issue) and it worked. I've not tried it with VS2022 as I had deadlines to hit and so went with a trial version of the latest VA in the interim - the only way I was able to get it active in my IDE. I'll give it a try in VS2022 when I get the chance and will report back. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2024 :  09:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should work and fix this problem in all versions of Visual Studio, but obviously you do need to delete the privateregistry.bin file in the correct install directory for the IDE version you are fixing.

So obviously please do let me know if you have any problems with this.

Go to Top of Page

TomatoSauce

3 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2024 :  04:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just confirming that this process did indeed work for VA_2440 and VS2022. Thanks for the support.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2024 :  08:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, I am glad this worked well for you, and got you up and running again.

Go to Top of Page

richardck

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2024 :  10:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just needed to deal with an issue like this - thank you for the information but I have a supplementary question - please see below.

On installing VS'22 (previously mostly using VS'19) I found the VA 2440 installer wouldn't run. Prior to finding this answer (and another similar - TOPIC_ID=16598) I had tried changing it to Windows 8 Compatibility, which seemed to work in that the installer ran and I was able to request that it be installed into VS'22. However at that stage it was not working, and also no longer working in VS'19. Having followed the instructions here I now have it installed and working satisfactorily in both versions (and also VS 2005 and VC6).

My follow-up question is about a "VAssistX" entry in the main application menu bar. I am sure there was one in VS'19 before I started fiddling but now there isn't one, nor is there one in VS'22. Is there something I need to do to make it appear?

RK
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2024 :  06:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a known problem with installing older versions of VA into newer versions of Visual Studio, which sounds like the problem you ran into. Unfortunately its not something we can "fix", since the current release doesn't have the problem.

For the menu location, VS2022 has decided to place extension menus under the Extensions menu, as sub menus. You can change this setting by going into the dialog:

Extensions -> Customize Menu...

and telling VS2022 to not place the VAssistX menu under the Extensions menu.

Go to Top of Page

richardck

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2024 :  07:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right. That's fine. I quite understand you can't change the old version.
And using Customize to move it to the top level works in VS'19 as well as VS'22.
I am perhaps slightly puzzled why it's installed itself by default under Extensions in VS'19 as I'm sure it was at the top-level before and I probably didn't do anything special to tell it to go there. Anyway it's easily settable manually.
On looking at it I don't think I really mind whether it's in the top menu or under Extensions.
One other thing I've noticed today is that I seem to have lost the binding of Alt+O to switching between corresponding .cpp and .h files. Can you tell me where I might find the setting for that in VS'22? Either just that one or all the key bindings, as I don't think I've seen them.

RK
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2024 :  08:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Microsoft made a change in Visual Studio to start placing all extension menus under the Extensions menu. It makes sense to keep things nice and tidy, but its very confusing when the menu is no longer where you expect it to be.

For Alt-O, there is some combination of settings and updating Visual Studio that can cause this key binding to disappear, and so far it only really seems to effect Alt-O. You can re-map it in "IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard", looking for the command:

VAssistX.OpenCorrespondingFile

or if you prefer you can save out the following as the file "vs2022_alt_o_keymapping.vssettings", and then import it via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Import selected environment settings

<UserSettings>
    <ApplicationIdentity version="17.0"/>
    <ToolsOptions><ToolsOptionsCategory name="Environment" RegisteredName="Environment"/></ToolsOptions>
    <Category name="Environment_Group" RegisteredName="Environment_Group">
        <Category name="Environment_KeyBindings" Category="{F09035F1-80D2-4312-8EC4-4D354A4BCB4C}" Package="{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}" RegisteredName="Environment_KeyBindings" PackageName="Visual Studio Environment Package">
            <Version>17.0.0.0</Version>
            <KeyboardShortcuts><UserShortcuts><Shortcut Command="VisualAssist.OpenCorrespondingFile" Scope="Text Editor">Alt+O</Shortcut></UserShortcuts></KeyboardShortcuts>
        </Category>
    </Category>
</UserSettings>

Go to Top of Page

richardck

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2024 :  04:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've changed that manually.
Alt+O had been assigned to Edit.IntelliCode.APIUsageExamples so that's presumably some new default.

RK
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18915 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2024 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this fits with what I have seen elsewhere. It only happens rarely, under some specific conditions though. Once fixed this keyboard mapping should stay fixed, thankfully.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000