How to handle multiple UE5 versions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BoomRaccoon

7 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2024 :  03:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have multiple versions of UE5, so depending on the project version I wanted to add the directories for each in 'C/C++ Directories' but that is global. So I tried to add both but that obviously will index all of them and everything is cluttered.

What's the intended way to handle this case?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18934 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2024 :  08:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you open one of your solutions using UE, in Solution Explorer, does it show an Engine folder holding the UE tree? This is how my UE solutions are structured.

If so, then so long as VA can work out that you are using a UE solution, it should "just work".

Having said that, there is a known limitation in VA, that it assumes the Unreal Engine directory tree is installed under "C:\Program Files\"

case=149208

If your various versions of UE are installed outside of this directory tree, then the UE symbols won't be shown in italics, as stable symbols by VA, and given the question, I suspect this is indeed the situation:

To work around this problem can you please create a junction point link to point at the installed engine. So:

Create the directory "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\"

Open a command prompt inside this directory, running as administrator, and run the command:

mklink /J UE_5.3 "C:\UE5\5.3"

Where the second path is the directory where you have installed / placed Unreal Engine. This will create a directory link inside the Windows file system, so while Unreal Engine will appear to exist inside this Program Files sub-directory, is still where it was originally installed.

Now to update your project to use the new path, open the Unreal Engine editor via this junction point, so for Unreal Engine 4.27 run:

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe

and for Unreal Engine 5.x run:

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.3\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor.exe

and open your project. In Unreal Engine 4.27, use:

File menu -> Refresh Visual Studio Project

In Unreal Engine 5.x use:

Tools menu -> Refresh Visual Studio Project

this will update the project to use the "C:\Program Files\" path of the junction point for the location of Unreal Engine, which is what Visual Assist is expecting.

So long as you run the UE editor via the junction point path, it will keep on updating the Visual Studio solution with this junction point path. When you next load the solution, and give VA a few moments to parse everything, UE symbols should be in italic, assuming you have enabled this setting.

For multiple versions of UE, you can have multiple junction points, one per version of UE. This is what I have here, with 6 different versions of UE. Visual Assist knows which version of UE is used for each solution, and treats all of them as stable libraries.

You might also want to look at the settings under:

VA Options -> Game Development

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

BoomRaccoon

7 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2024 :  12:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This seems to work. Having 5.3, 5.4 and the source working now (I think)

So I don't have to add anything myself to the C/C++ directories anymore, right?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18934 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2024 :  08:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this is working as expected, as it works for me, if you set:

VA Options -> C/C++ Directories -> Platform = Project defined

and then when you open a solution using Unreal Engine, the correct directories for the version of Unreal Engine that this solution uses should be listed in the C/C++ Directories shown here. Once VA has parsed each different version of UE, it shouldn't need to re-parse them next time the solution is loaded, and UE symbols should be shown in italic, assuming you have turned On:

VA Options -> Coloring and Attributes -> Show system symbols in italics

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000