Technical Support
 coloring problems
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dim0n

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  10:50:26 AM  Show Profile
I use VAX 1239 with .NET 2003 (7.1.3088) and I experience problems with text coloring in editor window (other windows like tooltips and list boxes are ok). I also tried 1237, 1230 -- same problems. There is almost no advanced coloring or sometimes it becomes weird for a moment, like functions colored as variables and so on. Is it a common problem and does anybody know how to deal with it?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  11:41:12 AM  Show Profile
if you create a free account at www.photobucket.com then you can use this to host a screen shot showing the problem, which you can then link to from here. without a better idea of what you mean, it is hard to comment.

there is a bug in 1239 where some variables are coloured as methods.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

dim0n

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  12:42:35 PM  Show Profile
feline, thanks for idea. Here are my screenshots:

f is a local variable but sometimes it is colored like a keyword.

only a couple of variables are colored. functions, macros, types are not.

sometimes p colored as a variable sometime is not colored at all

note that other VA windows are colored well

here is the complete mess. macros should be brown, keywords/types should be blue, variables should be gray.

and please also note that these colors may blink or change to other in a moment. sometimes even parts of a single word have different colors.

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Aug 02 2004 1:07:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2004 :  6:16:06 PM  Show Profile
*um*

yep, *um* definitely sums it up.

you seem to have an odd background colour. i am using a pale blue background, which is set globally via display properties, and i don't have any problems like this.

i know from what others have said that setting a dark background in VS can cause problems with syntax highlighting. so, is this your global windows background colour, or have you set this specifically in VS?

Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2004 :  04:21:55 AM  Show Profile
I have a similar background, in fact a bit darker, and I don't get any such problems. I think the problem with dark backgrounds is just that light text can't be seen in tooltips etc.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

dim0n

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2004 :  08:48:58 AM  Show Profile
i set this "light gray" background color in VS settings. i have the same color settings in VC6 and there is no such a problem. there is defenitely a bug somwhere in VAX, i can imagine that changing of a background color may result in invalid but consistent coloring. in my case there is something weird like one variable is gray on one line and brown on another.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2004 :  9:47:40 PM  Show Profile
Try "Use Defaults" in Tools|Options|Environment|Fonts and Colors. Redo your custom changes. This makes all settings inside the IDE know about current colors.

If the problem remains, tell us if you have a localized IDE.

Try build 1240 as well.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1240.exe

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

dim0n

6 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2004 :  03:39:04 AM  Show Profile
unfortunately changing color and font stettings to default didn't help, build 1240 didn't help either. my Windows and IDE are not localized.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Whole Tomato Software

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2004 :  2:41:34 PM  Show Profile
There is something unusual about your IDE which make it paint differently from ones we have tested. One example to change behavior is to install an East Asian Language Pack. Another is to change background color. Another is to edit a file of a particular type.

Have you installed any options to the default IDE installation?

Interested in trying a fresh install of the IDE?
Go to Top of Page

spectecjr
Ketchup Master

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  6:15:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

There is something unusual about your IDE which make it paint differently from ones we have tested. One example to change behavior is to install an East Asian Language Pack. Another is to change background color. Another is to edit a file of a particular type.

Have you installed any options to the default IDE installation?

Interested in trying a fresh install of the IDE?

What I'm wondering is how come painting all works correctly in VA 6.0, but suddenly doesn't work right in VAX?

Can't you guys go back to the old way you did painting? After all, it works, it's tried and tested code, and at least from the perspective of what you see on-screen, there's no difference in functionality.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  8:53:44 PM  Show Profile
"Suddenly" is probably not the right word. Much has changed for many reasons, including support for multiple IDEs. Long story...

Anything you recall unusual about your IDE setup?

Go to Top of Page

spectecjr
Ketchup Master

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2004 :  2:57:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

"Suddenly" is probably not the right word. Much has changed for many reasons, including support for multiple IDEs. Long story...

Anything you recall unusual about your IDE setup?

Absolutely nothing unusual at all. It's a standard install on Windows XP Pro. I've tested on Windows XP Pro with SP1, Windows XP Pro with SP2 all the way through to RC2. About the only possible special things are that it has the DirectX extensions installed, and is an upgrade from VS.NET 2002 to VS.NET 2003.

Other than that, it's the standard US VS.NET 2003 install.

VA 6.0 works fine on all of these systems - with the same color scheme.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2004 :  12:55:27 PM  Show Profile
We suspect the unusual coloring is due to IDE behavior we do not expect. The OS is not likely the culprit.

The IDE has numerous ways to color -- and it switches between them often. Your IDE displays in a way VA X does not catch.

VA 6.0 could be fine -- it works in a different IDE, for one. VC++ 6.0 isn't so ugly. That said, much has changed between VA 6.0 and VA X as well.

Any coworkers with the problem?

Go to Top of Page

spectecjr
Ketchup Master

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2004 :  04:00:06 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by support

We suspect the unusual coloring is due to IDE behavior we do not expect. The OS is not likely the culprit.

The IDE has numerous ways to color -- and it switches between them often. Your IDE displays in a way VA X does not catch.

VA 6.0 could be fine -- it works in a different IDE, for one. VC++ 6.0 isn't so ugly. That said, much has changed between VA 6.0 and VA X as well.

Any coworkers with the problem?

No coworkers with the problem - I'm the only one who uses Visual Assist... but I have tested this on four different machines now.

BTW: WHen I said VA 6.0 I meant VA.NET - sorry for the confusion. VA.NET works fine on these systems.
Go to Top of Page

arnetheduck

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2004 :  03:03:22 AM  Show Profile
I can confirm this bug, happens to me as well, all windows apart from the editor window are being drawn with nice colors. Sometimes small parts of the lines drawn show their correct color, but it disappears when scrolling or switching application.

Unfortunately I had not been using VS.NET for a few days when the bug appeared, so I cannot pinpoint any single upgrade or install I did, but it might have been a video driver upgrade, although I'm reluctant to downgrade as the driver installs are not very forgiving...

The computer is a hp nc4000 running windows xp with the latest service packs/upgrades and version 8.003.3-040515A-016016C of the video drivers from the hp.com support page, please tell me if there's anything else I can do as this bug is fairly annoying...

Here's my info (email edited), although it happened with a slightly earlier version as well(1239 or 1242, don't remember):

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1244.0
Licensed to:
VA X:
VA.NET 7.1: [email protected] (1-user license)
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.44
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2800.1106
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Documents\\VCProjects\\Include\\stlport;
C:\\Documents\\VCProjects\\Include\\wtl71;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

Go to Top of Page

arnetheduck

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  12:33:04 PM  Show Profile
bump
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  1:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Uhm...

I think I still have some variables colored wrong (in the screenshot, notice the wrong colored "hInstance", which should be colored "dirty blue" instead of "shiny blue". Compare it with the variable "iccex", which is colored right.

No steps to reproduce, cause I didn't do anything to make it show "hInstance" wrongly colored...

spectecjr, arnetheduck, dim0n:
Did I understand your problem?
Is this your problem? Sometimes wrong colored variables?
Sometimes coloring completely messed up?

Logfile mailed to support, lets kick this bugger out the door!

case=192

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Aug 02 2004 1:37:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

arnetheduck

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile
No, that's not the issue...
The issue is that there's no syntax highlighting going on at all other than the default one that comes with vs.net (black for text, blue for keywords and green for comments), and this happens only in the editor window (i e the dropdowns, tooltips etc are just fine)...

dimOn's screen shots illustrate the issue thoroughly (although I have the standard white for background...)

Edit: Actually, it seems like the va drawing is being overdrawn by vs, sometimes when you scroll or move the cursor, some of the va coloring shows for a few secs until you move again...

Edited by - arnetheduck on Aug 03 2004 10:37:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  6:23:22 PM  Show Profile
arnetheduck do you have any other programs installed that might be effecting how VS and VAX are updating the screen? windowblinds is a possible example, but i run it without any problems.

thankfully i have never seen the effect you are reporting.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  7:35:57 PM  Show Profile
arnetheduck: You have a good clue. It could be the IDE is drawing atop what VA X draws.

In this case, we will ask for a log if you don't mind helping a bit. Enable logging on the performance tab of our options dialog. Scroll to make VA X colors, then IDE colors appear. Exit your IDE. Zip and send c:\\va.log to [email protected]
Go to Top of Page

arnetheduck

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  07:11:44 AM  Show Profile
Log sent.
Go to Top of Page

tscott1213
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  10:46:42 AM  Show Profile
So, is there an answer for this?

I am having the same problem.
It looks like the IDE is overwriting the VA colors.

Thanks

Edited by - tscott1213 on Sep 10 2004 11:23:16 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000