New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  04:41:16 AM  Show Profile
I have a very interesting problem.

When I open a lone file in Visual Studio by double-clicking it on Explorer, then Visual Studio pops open and VAX shows the syntax coloring properly. When I close the IDE, either with the document still open or closed, the IDE crashes with VSW Exception. If I unload/disable VAX, the problem does not appear. Could this be related to the fact that the file doesn't have any workspace associated with it ?

I can post a log if necessary. The problem situation can be easily reproduced. Just open a lone file in VS, and close the IDE. Exception is generated.

Any suggestions ? Visual Studio version is .NET 2003 Enterprise Architect with the latest VAX release. Both are properly licensed and function properly seperately. But together, and in this situation, an exception is generated. VS doesn't have any patches installed.

-Alias

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  11:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Opening lone files via Explorer is quite common. We do this all the time, particulary when files are not part of a project. We do not see a crash.

We recall previous problem with opening of files with Explorer. We did a quick search and find no open issues.

What version of the IDE do you have? 7.1.3088? Get the info from our About tab, or from Help|About.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  4:06:36 PM  Show Profile
IDE version is 7.1.3088 (through About box). Through VAX About box, the 'devenv.exe' version is 7.10.3077.0. The 'msenv.dll' version is the same. VAX (VA_X.dll) version is 10.1.1293.0.
Running Windows XP with SP2.

The crash occurs everytime I open a lone file in the IDE, whether through Explorer or through the IDE, and then close the IDE while the file is still open. If I close the file and then exit, IDE crashes with an error message as follows, after which the IDE closes:

-- SNIP --

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error

Program D:\\Visual Studio .Net 2003\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe

R6025
-pure virtual function call

-- END SNIP --

This error message is also generated if I open a lone file, and then attempt to close the 'temporary solution' that is generated. Again, if I open the lone file, close it, and then attempt to open a different file through File -> Open, the same error message pops up.
The error message seems to be related to the temporary solution somehow, but as of now, I have no idea how.

Also, when reading the VAX about box, I noticed an old registry entry from and old installation of VA .NET 7.1. Could this be a cause ? I removed VA .NET before installing VAX.

-Alias
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  4:27:50 PM  Show Profile
I uninstalled Visual Assist X, then started the IDE and repeated all the 'lone file' cases. None of them caused the error.

Then I removed all Whole Tomato -related entries from the registry, and re-installed latest Visual Assist, downloading it from the website. When done, I opened the IDE, loaded a lone file and then closed the IDE. Same crash, same text, same error message.

There's no doubt about it, this bug/error is related to the Visual Assist somehow.

-Alias
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  5:39:18 PM  Show Profile
in the private beta forum there is a brief mention of this 2823

on this occasion it happened when loading a second IDE with one already open. do you already have the IDE open when this happens?

also you may want to read 3417 which is in the general release section. it is possible making sure you have the latest OS patches installed will help. you already have SP2 installed, so there is no point in suggesting that.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2005 :  09:27:37 AM  Show Profile
I cannot read the 2823 topic, because it's in the private beta forum. I have no instances of the IDE open when I open the file in Explorer. It opens one instance of the IDE, then views the file. When closing the IDE after this, it crashes like I've described numerous times already.

Reading through 3417 on the general release forum gives some hints, but none of which solves the problem. I don't have problems with Find. The scenario I described causes a crash every time, always in the same way. I find it strange that none of the development team manages to recreate the crash situation. Or is nobody using Windows XP ?

There are no new security patches available or program updates for Visual Studio .NET. The problem remains as is. Although it doesn't _really_ hamper VAX usage, it is still highly inconvient because I sometimes need to do a lot of lone-file editing. I hope this will be fixed (either by you or by Microsoft) before my support time is over.

-Alias
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2005 :  04:20:05 AM  Show Profile
I now have updated information on the situation. By pure coincidence I decided to view the Task Manager while starting up Visual Studio. It showed that Rational Rose loaded it's add-in at startup, so I decided to give it a try and disable this add-in through Add-In Manager.

After removing the 'Load at startup' option from the Rose Add-in, the lone file opening problem went away. I can now open lone files in Visual Studio (either through Explorer or by having no solution open in VS and then using the 'Open' command), and the IDE does not crash.

-Alias
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2005 :  09:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Do you have a Link to a Website for this AddIn, so that we can try to fix this behaviour?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2005 :  1:32:23 PM  Show Profile
The add-in was automatically installed with Rational Rose Enterprise edition. I do not know if it is available seperately, but as it is (according to the manual) meant to simplify Visual Studio and Rational Rose integration, I see no reason why it would be available as a stand-alone download.

You should contact IBM. Perhaps they can provide the team with a test or an evaluation version of Rose for the purposes of finding the reason why these two add-ins don't play nice together.

-Alias
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2005 :  11:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for posting the details, and for your persistence.

We will try to get a copy of Rational Rose for testing.

If you keep the culprit add-in disabled and discover what parts of Rose are unavailable, please post your findings. They might help the next user considering the disabling of the add-in.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000