New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  11:06:25 AM  Show Profile
<Edit>
Gave this bug report its own thread. Moved announcement of build 1413 to another thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3727
</Edit>

Edited by - support on Jun 15 2005 8:09:40 PM

_FKS_

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  09:58:40 AM  Show Profile
Following the problem I got in my previous post (see http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3712) I installed 1413 just to see if you would work better.
After installation, as the symbols weren't recognized properly -as a consequence from the problem- I hit Rebuild in the VAX panel and restarted Visual Studio. The problem now is that after waiting for a bit for VAX to parse the files, I get this:

Is that normal? Does that mean VAX skipped some of the symbols because of this error? I've also attached a directory dump in case it can help: http://web.newsguy.com/AlexPhotos/dir-dump.txt

EDIT: Actually this seems to happen anytime I type something in a c file and then move the cursor up or down. (while parsing is still in progress). Once I got the error message, it seems something gets stuck in loop somewhere as the 'Parsing' message at the bottom stops updating (as long as the text edit window is active). As soon as I click and pop-up the Solution Explorer tab or the Output tab, the parsing seems to resume but stops again after a second or so. Very weird.

Edited by - _FKS_ on Jun 15 2005 10:10:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  3:37:58 PM  Show Profile
using vs2003 and VA 1413 i have just tried this. i added a .c file to a C++ project, told VA to rebuild its symbol databases and then restarted the IDE. i then preceded to add new code the .c file and move the caret up and down the file with the arrow keys while VA was still parsing. no problems, no error messages.

this is definitely not normal, i have never seen such an error message myself and i don't recall anyone reporting it before.

can you try telling VA to rebuild its symbol databases and clear the history and cache? both options are in VA options -> performance.

with luck this will fix the problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  4:04:44 PM  Show Profile
FKS, are you using a german or otherwise localized IDE (instead of english)?

The Stausbar often ceases to update when VAX is parsing, so it really is finished parsing while it still shows it's parsing a file.
Opening a .cpp or .h file from the projet resets the statusbar then.

Go to Top of Page

bins
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:17:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting this again, after DevStudio mysteriously disappeared (it had been sitting doing nothing for a while - similar to when I had a power-out yesterday) Looks like it's a corrupt file or something. Rebuilding cache symbol db requires a reset anyway so it's hard to tell if what's fixing it (the rebuild or the restart)

Rob
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  11:05:59 AM  Show Profile
FKS: Can you send us your email address so we can send you a test DLL?
Go to Top of Page

_FKS_

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  11:15:42 AM  Show Profile
feline:

When I mean c file I really meant a C++ file (cpp), I don't know if that really matters. I didn't add any new file to my project like you suggested. Before the bug appeared, I did what you said, ie.clicked on both 'Clear' and 'Rebuild' then restarted the IDE. The bug will happen just shortly after restarting (don't remember if it was right at the begining), whenever I start typing and moving the cursor up or down.

WannabeeDeveloper:

I'm not using a localized IDE.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  3:25:55 PM  Show Profile
i often do some editing of C++ (cpp) files before VA has finished parsing and i am not seeing this. hopefully supports test dll will help.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2005 :  11:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Fixed in 1414.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: