Technical Support
 adding sub-directories
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markdc

14 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  1:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Is there anyway to make vax parse the headers in subdirectories? It will take me all day to select each directory I need.

I see you can paste a list of directories from the clipboard, but how do you generate this list? Just copying the directories in explorer doesn't work.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile
what are you trying to achieve? when you say "get VAX to parse" do you mean these headers are part of your project, or are they stable headers that form a library you are linking against?

see this page for more information on stable include files:
http://66.150.196.105/products/features/directories.html?more=yes

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

markdc

14 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  5:30:53 PM  Show Profile
They are headers in 50+ directories. I don't want to enter each directory one at a time. I want it to parse all these headers everytime I open the project because we have a large team so headers get changed all the time. So what I'm doing is adding the library paths to "other includes." I just don't want to manually enter each directory. The paths aren't in my project includes because we include lib headers by the lib name first, so we only have to add one include to get all libs. Ex #include "libname1/someclass.h" so we only have the have the directory above libname1 in our project includes.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  6:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Which IDE are you using?
Go to Top of Page

markdc

14 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  6:33:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sean

Which IDE are you using?

VS .net 2002 and vs 6.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  7:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Are you having the same problem in both IDEs?

There is a bug (case=689) that affects vc6 projects - the additionalIncludeDirectories settings is not handled properly. But it should be working properly in vs2002. For vc6, a fix will be in the next build.
Go to Top of Page

markdc

14 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  11:32:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Are you having the same problem in both IDEs?

There is a bug (case=689) that affects vc6 projects - the additionalIncludeDirectories settings is not handled properly. But it should be working properly in vs2002. For vc6, a fix will be in the next build.

It's parsing the directories that I put in there, but I want it to parse sub-directories as well. Or if someone can tell me how to generate a list of directories that would work as well.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  03:46:56 AM  Show Profile
When you wrote "It's parsing the directories that I put in there" what do you mean by "in there"? It must not be the project Additional Include Directories since that does not work in vc6. Are you adding directories to the VA "other include" directories to workaround the fact that reading the project Additional Include Directories is broken?
Go to Top of Page

markdc

14 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  1:32:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:

When you wrote "It's parsing the directories that I put in there" what do you mean by "in there"? It must not be the project Additional Include Directories since that does not work in vc6. Are you adding directories to the VA "other include" directories to workaround the fact that reading the project Additional Include Directories is broken?

>what do you mean by "in there"?

I'm adding the library paths to "other includes." I think you're missing my point. Everything works as it should. I just don't want to manually add 50 directories to the other includes list. If it parsed sub-directories I could just add the parent directory of the 50 directories. All I really need is a way to generate a list of the 50 directories that I want to add so I can paste them into "other includes"
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  1:52:37 PM  Show Profile
My point is that if it was working as it should you wouldn't need to add any directories at all. If the project compiles in the IDE, VA should be able to find everything it needs from the project and IDE settings.

In order to add to the va "other includes" list you need to switch the platform from win32 to Custom - which you must have done. Did you switch to Custom just to be able to modify the "other includes" list or was there another reason to do that?

Does the workspace contain a single project or multiple projects?

Are you having symbol recognition problems in both IDEs or just VC6?

You can generate a list of sub-dirs from the command prompt (after going to the root dir you want to start from):
dir /s /b /a:d
Go to Top of Page

markdc

14 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  2:59:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:

My point is that if it was working as it should you wouldn't need to add any directories at all.
In order to add to the va "other includes" list you need to switch the platform from win32 to Custom - which you must have done. Did you switch to Custom just to be able to modify the "other includes" list or was there another reason to do that?

Does the workspace contain a single project or multiple projects?

Are you having symbol recognition problems in both IDEs or just VC6?

You can generate a list of sub-dirs from the command prompt (after going to the root dir you want to start from):
dir /s /b /a:d

>If the project compiles in the IDE, VA should be able to find >everything it needs from the project and IDE settings.

I don't think so because of what I stated above: "The paths aren't in my project includes because we include lib headers by the lib name first, so we only have to add one include to get all libs. Ex #include "libname1/someclass.h" so we only have the have the directory above libname1 in our project includes."

>Does the workspace contain a single project or multiple projects?

Both. We have several projects.

>Are you having symbol recognition problems in both IDEs or just VC6?

Both.

>You can generate a list of sub-dirs from the command prompt (after >going to the root dir you want to start from):
>dir /s /b /a:d

Thanks. This worked for me.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  3:55:27 PM  Show Profile
I guess we're not connecting on the expected behavior: if the compiler has sufficient information to locate the headers your source files require, then it should be sufficient for VA also.

Let me make sure I understand your configuration with an example.

The project has a single AdditionalIncludeDirectory set like: d:\\foo;

The actual directories on disk are like:
d:\\foo\\libname1
d:\\foo\\libname2
d:\\foo\\libname3

And actual files like:
d:\\foo\\libname1\\lib1class.h
d:\\foo\\libname2\\lib2class.h
d:\\foo\\libname3\\lib3class.h

And headers are included in your source files like:
#include "libname1\\lib1class.h"
#include "libname2\\lib2class.h"
#include "libname3\\lib3class.h"

Am I understanding the hierarchical layout?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000