Drop-down of VAssist menu in VS2005
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kinook

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  10:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using VAssist 10.2.1440.0 on VS 2005 Pro 8.0.50727.42 (RTM) on Win XP Pro SP2, pressing Alt+A selects but does not drop down the V&AssistX menu item.

Automate your software builds with Visual Build Pro
http://www.visualbuild.com/

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are unable to reproduce the problem. The VAssistX menu opens when we press Alt+A. (Similar environment as you have.)

We try with and without settings of Display Properties to hide accelerators.

Do you see accelerators and is File selected when you press Alt alone?

Is your CPU busy?

Do you have any other add-ins or utilities installed that might interfere with the functionality?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  2:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kinook what happens if you press enter? i suspect the menu opens. do you see the same effect on any of the other menu's in the IDE?

i have seen this effect myself, but only in VS 2005. i have been seeing it on and off ever since i installed VS2005 beta 2, and i had always assumed that it was some new "feature" in the IDE. currently it is not happening on my test machine, but i don't know why.

if this only effects the VAX menu for you then i will have another look. this is the menu i most notice it on, but it is also the menu i use most often.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tragib

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  3:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same issue. It is most likely caused by having another top level menu item having the same accelerator. In my case it's the 'Data' menu. I changed the accelerator on the 'VAssistX' menu to 'X' and it works normal. If you display the 'Help' toolbar in 2005, the 'How Do I' button has the same keyboard accelerator as the 'Debug' menu and will do the same thing.

HTH,
Travis
Go to Top of Page

kinook

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  10:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

We are unable to reproduce the problem. The VAssistX menu opens when we press Alt+A. (Similar environment as you have.)

Of course, I can't reproduce it today either. I'm pretty sure the menus have not changed since then, and it's the only one with an A mnemonic (although the behavior was consistent with multiple mnemonics). When it was happenning, down arrow or Enter would drop the menu down. I'll chalk it up to VS2005 flakiness.

Automate your software builds with Visual Build Pro
http://www.visualbuild.com/
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  2:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will keep an eye out for this myself. i have see this problem on three separate machines, but it appears to be somewhat random, and only effects VS2005 *sigh*

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  6:30:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it happened to me today, so i stopped and looked into it. IF you have a D&ata menu as well as a V&AssistX menu then the VA menu does not automatically drop down, since there is a duplicate menu accelerator.

i have not been using VS2005 long enough myself to know why there is a data menu floating around, or why it seems to disappear some of the time, but this is the trigger. i am far to used to pressing alt-a to want to change, but i am not sure what else to suggest off hand.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000