Technical Support
 Unusably Slow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spiderM9

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2006 :  5:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm the last one here, held out as long as I could, but finally had to disable Visual Assist. I'm at least the sixth person here who had to finally give up and turn it off altogether.

Something happened right around the 1434 version (might have been a few earlier than that). About that time VaX stopped being able to parse files that it didn't have any trouble with earlier. Things started getting bogged down too. (TOPIC_ID=4208) fixed some of these fatal issues, but not the general slowdown.

Our codebase is not all that complex - almost no macros but very heavy use of templates, about 2000 files total, lots of STL and STL like code. Used to (with older VaX) be able to have over a hundred .vcproj files open (each with half a dozen or so source files). We've all tried to reduce that to 5 or 6 "current" projects, but to no avail. Something is just broken.

As our support has lapsed at version 1438, we're at a bit of a loss. Don't want to keep paying for it if it is fatally broken or if some recent reengineering has made the parser too incompatible with our codebase -- but we're not sure how we're going to live without it.

Specs:
VaX is only addin
VS .Net 2003
VaX versions 1434-1438
no non VC include paths, all paths in the project files
Win XP (some SP2, some not)
Tried turning off just about every option or suggestion from the forums over the past several weeks, no changes.

Symptoms:
1. About every 3 or 4 minutes VS slows to a crawl, keystrokes take around 10 seconds to show up.

2. Autotext is screwed up, it will flicker on the suggestion then immediatly replace it with a drop down from intellisense. If you backspace and retry the autotext shortcut 3 or 4 times it usually eventually works.

3. Eventually VS gets so sluggish you have to shut down and restart. Sometimes the symptoms reappear very quickly though, may be related to specific files but we can't figure out which ones.

Is anyone else seeing this or is it just us?

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2006 :  11:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something is whacked. VA X should be that slow. We'd have lots of screaming users if that were the case.

Can you try build 1440 (due later today) and generate a performance log? We'll see what's going wrong.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1440.exe

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#log
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  12:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Something is whacked. VA X should be that slow.

I really hope that is a typo!!

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  01:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really a typo! Our mistake.

VA X should NOT be that slow!
Go to Top of Page

essin

2 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  8:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having a similar problem. With VA enabled, intellisense will display momentarily and then disappear before there is time to make a selection. I had this problem with 1438 and the new 1440 does not change the behavior. It is essentially useless at this point.
Go to Top of Page

spiderM9

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  1:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I installed the 1440 version at noon on the 18th. Everything was working fine until about 10 minutes ago, when the slowness came back. If I just hold down a single key, it takes 15 seconds to type an 80 character line.

I've been running the log since the install, its zipped up and I'm mailing it in.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  2:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for the log spiderM9. this sudden change suggests something has happened. has your anti-virus just changed or been updated? can you run a CPU meter (ctrl-alt-del -> task manager -> minimised is fine) to see if there is a massive CPU hit when trying to use the IDE with VA enabled?

what effect does disabling VA have? what if you only disable VA's enhanced syntax highlighting?

essin what results do you get on these checks?

can either of you try VA on a small test project to see how it behaves? if you open the OFIW dialog do you get a list of files, or is VA still parsing your code?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

essin

2 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  4:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not having a problem with slow performance, I am having a problem with the gui not waiting long enough to be useful.

I created a small test project as you asked. I am running a dual-core athlon 4800+ with 2 gig ram. In the following code:
private void test()
{
StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
sb.
}
hitting the period after sb causes a list to popup - but it only remains visible for less than 1/2 second - too short to be useful.

There are also situations where hitting the tab on a selected itme does not insert into the text (usually it does).

There are other situations where some itme other that the highlighted one gets inserted into the text.

There are other situations where attempting to paste text from the clipboard inserts the text at some random location within the document, not at the location of the cursor at the time of the paste.

These problems (which I thought might be due to a slow processor) have all persisted on this new, fast machine.

At this point the product is not useful and actually interferes with normal work. It needs some major surgery, and pretty soon.

Thank you,
de

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  7:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have two issues in this thread: performance and disappearing popups.

As for the popups, we know you have VS2005 but in which language are you programming? If C#, can you disable "Show completion list after a character is typed?" The option is in "Tools|Options|Text Editor|C#|Intellisense."

We wonder what listbox appears first and which appears second. (Suggestion lists have question mark icons; completion listboxes have various icons.)

Go to Top of Page

spiderM9

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  6:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for the disappearing popups, if you type slower, they will appear and stick, for example, I have an autotext macro for "cp", if I type it fast, I get a disappearing popup, if I type "c" <very short pause> "p" it works just fine.

This is with VS 2003 and C++, not 2005 with C# too.
Go to Top of Page

spiderM9

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  6:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm mailing a "troublesome file" to the support email with this topic number. It causes VS to hang on multiple machines, but very erratically (not consistent).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  2:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you post the details of the "cp" autotext rule you are using? using C++, VS2003 and VA1440 i have created a new autotext rule as follows

shortcut = cp
text:
char szBuffer[150];
strncpy(szBuffer, "fred", sizeof(szBuffer) - 1);
$end$

the first time i triggered this, immediately after defining it i was able to reproduce the appearing / disappearing autotext suggestion list when i typed "cp" very quickly. however i cannot reproduce that effect. i have tried this, along with a few other autotext rules a good 30 or 40 times in a row, as fast as i can type them, and every time the suggestion stays on the screen.

how reproducible is this effect for you? does it happen in multiple cpp files, and in more than one project?

Go to Top of Page

spiderM9

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  4:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just mailed in new, smaller log files for this. Again it took about 2 days, but VS started crawling about 10 minutes ago. The CPU meter showed VS taking 85 of CPU just when it had focus, which pegged at 97%+ when typing single characters slowly (which at this point was the only way they could be typed).
Go to Top of Page

spiderM9

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  4:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the "cp" macro was:

cp:coke com_ptr
coke::com_ptr<$end$> sp;

and another

qs:
coke::service_ptr<$ns$$iface$, &$ns$SID_$iface$, &$ns$IID_$iface$> sp$end$;

they both have $end$ in common. This was discussed also in topic 4290. http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4290

As far as reproducability, once this starts happening, which seems to be at the same time that everything else gets bogged down, it will happen ~80% of the time.

Edited by - spiderM9 on Jan 24 2006 4:16:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  6:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, i still cannot reproduce this autotext problem. logically i think it must be related to this problem with VA getting bogged down. hopefully support can work out what is going on here.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  6:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spiderM9 sents logs from a period of slowdown. Unfortunately, the culprit was not obvious.

We have another thread discussing a slowdown and via email, that user tells us the problem appears to be in projects using "comet" -- a library with heavy use of templates. Interesting, spiderM9 is also making "heavy use of templates."

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4126

Is anyone else using "comet?"

http://lambdasoft.dk/Comet/

We're going to assume the "disappearing popups" is caused by the slowdown since spiderM9 says the disappearing seems to occur during a slowdown and since we would surmise the same given our knowledge of how VA X interacts with the IDE. If "disappearing popups" happens again, i.e. other than during a slowdown, please open a new thread for the problem.
Go to Top of Page

spiderM9

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2006 :  7:08:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do not use comet, but I looked at that library and our use of templates in a home grown library uses very similar patterns. I'll send the library to support with this topic ID and the remark "coke template library".

Of particular interest may be the following pattern, extracted from our coke library:

template<class T>
class coclass 
{
public:
    // ...

template <typename interface_T>
    struct qi_type
    {
        typedef interface_T interface_t;
    };

template<typename interface_T>
    static HRESULT register_i(const IID& iid, const qi_type<interface_T>& qit)
    {
        return register_i(k_reg_i, iid, ((unsigned long)(static_cast<typename qi_type<interface_T>::interface_t*>((T*) 8)) - 8));
    }
};

where a class derived from the template (T) implements a static member function and repeatedly calls register_i, as such:

struct ISomeInterface : IUnknown { };

class CoFoo :
    public coke::coclass<CoFoo>,
    public ISomeInterface
{
public:
    static HRESULT register_interfaces()
    {
        register_i(IID_IUnknown, qi_type<mw::shell::IDocument>());
        register_i(IID_ISomeInterface, qi_type<ISomeInterface>());
        return S_OK;
    }
    // ...
};

I think the nested type manipulation template (qi_type<>), inherited from a base template (coclass<>) is similar to some stuff I saw in the comet library.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000