Hide comments!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  11:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a "Hide comments" feature would be very neat and would make coding easier on the eyes.

I am using doxygen in my C++ code and my eyes are sore from seiing so many comments. It would have been nice to have a command "Hide/Show Comments" toggle via hot-key and if you type a comment while your in Hide mode, the instant you delimit your comment, it disappears.

Or if it is too complex to implement, just a normal show/hide comments toggle that hode the comments it knows of. If you write new comments, they will not be hidden.

Tell me what you think.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Feb 14 2006 11:55:59 PM

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  8:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and who said comments were good?

We like your suggestion. VS2005 already supports collapsing of blocks and automatically designates multi-line comments as a single block. You can collapse them individually but we don't see a way to "collapse all comment blocks." Anyone else know?

We would consider improving this feature in VS2005 but are unlikely to retrofit older IDEs with outlining.
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  10:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, VS2005 supports collapsing of blocks, but you would have to manually go block by block to collapse the comments and some you would have to define manuall as well. It would be a tedious job.

a "Collapse all comments" would truly be awesome. And you can mark the collapsed block either with the few first words from the comment, or just say "collapsed comment" or something, or like VS2005 does it now "/* ... */".

For one line comments, I don't think it is worth it to collapse them, since the collapse will still take one ligne anyways.

Of course, if you implement a "Collapse all comments" ( or a simple hide ) feature, then an "Expand all comments" ( or show ) is in order :)

quote:
We would consider improving this feature in VS2005 but are unlikely to retrofit older IDEs with outlining.

Well, you cannot keep on supporting older products from MS for ever. I mean, if new and exciting features appear in the newest version, then one should use them if usefull :)

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Feb 15 2006 11:25:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  12:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started investigating creating a macro to change the foreground color of comments to white (I have the default white background), but gave up after a bit of searching, since I couldn't find the "handle" to the formatting options. I even tried to record a macro doing it manually, but all it recorded was bringing up the options dialog.

At least this method would eliminate the clutter, but it wouldn't compress the code like collapsing would.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  02:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great so we got another vote for the suggestion :)

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  4:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
comments as regions works in VS2003 C++ as well, so this extends the range of this nicely. i have put in a feature request so we will not forget

case=992

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  6:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Feline! You're the best :)

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  6:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any update on this guys? This request is over a year old

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  07:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no progress on this so far. We have quite a lot of outstanding feature requests, and more coming in every week, so deciding what to do first is sometimes difficult.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000