Land at center of document on VAXView / ALT-G
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  01:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The random nature of the ALT-G and Vaxview double click/goto makes it very hard to find where the cursor landed at when you have lot of tightly packed code. And the fact that there is no highlighting whatsoever makes it even harder to spot where the cursor is at.

I already suggested a "smart highlighting" feature a la Class View in VS2005, but another feature that can help as well is to make the landing position constant.

So instead of sometome landing at the top, sometimes in the middle and some other times at the bottom, it would be really great to _always_ land in the center of the document.

Like this at least your visual mark point/cue doesn't change on every click, meaning you always look at the same spot on your monitor and the new method lands there.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Apr 02 2006 01:04:40 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  1:45:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the problem with this is that VS2003 will not let you scroll past the end of the file. the last line of the file, presuming it is long enough, will never go past the bottom of the screen. strangely enough VC6 and VS2005 do not have this restriction.

all of the editors have a problem with this at the top of the file.

i understand what you are saying, but there are cases when there are simply physical problems doing this.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  2:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
the problem with this is that VS2003 will not let you scroll past the end of the file. the last line of the file, presuming it is long enough, will never go past the bottom of the screen. strangely enough VC6 and VS2005 do not have this restriction.

all of the editors have a problem with this at the top of the file.

i understand what you are saying, but there are cases when there are simply physical problems doing this.

Feline,

You ALT-G on a symbol, and the location that VAX displays is centered on the screen. Now, if the document that you end up being in is smaller than half the screen size, then of course, you don't diplay it at the center, you just keep it at the top. But how many documents you work with are really that small? in my case not even 5%.

Now, on VS2003, it doesn't have to center it in these minority of cases where it physically is impossible ( like if the symbol is at half a screen size at the bottom of the file ) since it doesn't allow you to scroll past the end of the file. But for the editors that supports past the end of file scrolling it would be a really nice addition.

So the simple logic would be:
1) If the symbol is in the top half then don't center it
2) If it is below center then center it ( example a symbol at center + 1 line would display a center location and the document would have scrolled down by 1 line )

I have another plugin that uses this _exact_same_ behavior and it is formidable. In fact it was my suggestion to them, and they implemented it marevellously.

I would hate not to see this feature because some previous version doesn't support a subset of it.

I onced asked support a question if you guys would skip implementing a feature because it wasn't supported by an older IDE then the current one ( VS2005 ) and the answer was no. I hope that it will still be the case with this suggestion.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64

Edited by - Sasa on Apr 02 2006 2:59:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  4:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats fair. i am not trying to be difficult, more a case of trying to think this through. my initial reaction was that the highlighting of the item when you jump to it would be enough.

when i can reproduce the bug with this that you have reported then i will put in both the bug and the request at the same time, because as you say, they are related.

Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  4:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I updated the bug report.

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  6:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
feline,

Did you receive my video file?

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

Sasa
Tomato Guru

272 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  6:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any update on this guys?

C++
Visual Studio 2008 Pro
Windows 7 x64
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  07:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*checks* from the history page, 1548 contains the fix:

Current line moved near top of window after Goto (Alt+G). (case=458) 5732, 5903

The case contains the comment "This change only has affect if the new location was not already visible on screen."

Why do I get the feeling you have not noticed any change? Are you using 1548 or 1549 yet?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000