Technical Support
 no tooltips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danielgodson

7 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  8:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our company just upgraded us to vs2005 from vc6 which required me to renew my VAX license (and i got the latest build). everything works as expected but i'm not getting any tooltips when i hover the cursor over a known symbol.

i get a tooltip if i type a known method name followed by '(' but if i then click to remove the tooltip and then hover back over the method name it does not reappear. i can confirm that the tooltips do appear in vc6 using the latest VAX.

i suspect i have some vs2005 settings disabled but i can't figure it out.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  08:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure the following option is enabled in VS2005:

Tools|Options|Text Editor|C/C++|Formatting|Enable automatic quick-info tooltips
Go to Top of Page

danielgodson

7 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  8:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes this is (was) set.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  2:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you confirm the version of VA you are using?

when typing the method name followed by ( you should get a tooltip showing the parameters the function takes. is this the case? this is slightly different to the normal hovering over a variable or type tooltip.

do you have the VA wizard bar showing? if so does it update correctly when you click into a variable or type? if not can you turn it on and perform the same test.

have you done anything to disable the IDE's default intellisense parsing? a pair of read only ncb files will do this, or there is a specific dll you can rename.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  7:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you confirm you get tooltips in VS2005 without VA X? (Try disabling at startup via Tools|Add-in Manager.)
Go to Top of Page

danielgodson

7 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  02:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've fiddled and diddled and seem to have figured out what's happening. tooltips only appear if i have a .sln loaded. unfortunately here at work we use a custom make system outside of VS. under VC6 this did not seem to matter.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  10:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
without a "proper" solution VA will not work correctly. the first and most basic problem you will have is that VA will not know which files make up your project, so OFIW and FSIW will not work correctly, plus you may well find suggestions on classes are not very reliable.

the good news is that this is easy to fix. just create a dummy solution that contains all of your code and open that. the solution will tell VA what source files to parse, but since you are not using the IDE to build the code you do not need a correctly configured solution.

i have in fact done exactly this on one of my projects where the code is being compiled on a UNIX box.

Go to Top of Page

danielgodson

7 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  7:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unfortunately this solution is not viable due to the scale of the project. s'ok, i'll just do without. disappointing that this worked in VC6 though.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  11:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work on a project with over 20MB of source files. Surely, you aren't working on the WHOLE thing, are you? Perhaps you could create a solution that contains the files and headers you are interested in, just to get the added features. I have done this with my project, and it helps tremendously. Perhaps this may be a good compromise?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  2:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
danielgodson if some of the project very rarely changes and is spread across a very large directory tree you could try adding the base directory to the stable include files.

it would be worth testing this by adding just a couple of hundred files to a dummy solution to see if this fixes the tooltips problem.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000