Technical Support
 Can't use function dropdown while debugging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WayneVucenic

3 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  1:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I'm debugging, if I try to use the VA navigation bar to dropdown the list of functions in the current file, the dropdown appears very briefly, then about 1/50 of a second later the dropdown goes away and I get a dialog box with the title "Edit and Continue" saying:

"Changes are not allowed while code is running or if the option 'Break all processes when one process breaks' is disabled. The option can be enabled in Tools, Options, Debugging."

(In my case 'Break all processes when one process breaks' is enabled. As an experiment, I tried disabling it, but the same problem still occurs.)

My project is a C# WinForms app in Visual Studio 2005, running on Windows XP SP2 on an IBM (Lenovo) ThinkPad laptop (Pentium M processor). I've seen the same problem with a C# ASP.NET project. This problem has been happening with the last several releases of VA (which are the only ones I've been running on this system, in other words this problem has always occurred in VA on this system). It's currently happening with the latest "VA_X.dll file version 10.2.1446.0 built 2006.05.31"

I'm not sure if this problem happens _all_ the time when I'm debugging, because I've learned not to use the function dropdown while I'm debugging. But it certainly happens much of the time. The other features in the navigation bar seem to work fine. I can use the little up/down arrows to the right of the function dropdown to go forward/back a method at a time, the definitions dropdown works, and the "Go" button works.

I searched the forums before posting this. A very similar problem was reported in Aug '05, but there didn't seem to be a resolution.

I'd appreciate any advice, as this really makes it hard to navigate source files while debugging.

Thanks,

Wayne

No Bugs Software: Ruby and C# Agile Contract Programming in Silicon Valley

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  6:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*experiments*

using VS2005 and VA 1445 when i run a C# program and go back to the IDE, while the program is still running, i have blue padlock icons on each of the file tabs.

pressing alt-m the first time produces the list very briefly, then disappears as a message box appears, titled "Edit and Continue", which seems to be the same one you are getting.

however the second time i press alt-m the list appears and i can scroll down it, but i cannot type to filter the list, since typing triggers this message box.

do you have a link to the previous thread? i have not tried to do this before, but in the IDE options edit and continue seems to be enabled, so i would expect to be able to edit the code *puzzled*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WayneVucenic

3 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  6:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your quick response!

I'm seeing exactly what you're seeing: blue padlock icons, alt-m displays the message box, another alt-m shows the list which I can scroll but I can't type because typing triggers the message box.

I was always just clicking on the dropdown. Using alt-m instead is a great idea because it's a partial workaround to the problem.

The previous thread is: http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3858

Thanks,

Wayne

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  2:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting, i was unable to reproduce this problem in the last thread, but now i can. are you running a 64bit processor?

after a bit of fiddling there seem to be two possible work arounds.
a) turn off edit and continue, IDE tools menu -> options -> debugging -> edit and continue
b) make sure you pause the program before triggering alt-m. when the program is paused the blue padlocks on the tabs should disappear, and when they do this should stop happening.

case=1243

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

WayneVucenic

3 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  10:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not running a 64bit processor, just an ordinary 32bit Pentium M in a laptop.

I tried your suggestion of turing off edit and continue, and I haven't seen the problem in a day of use, so that seems to be a good workaround.

Thank you very much for your help on this. I really appreciate it!

Wayne

Go to Top of Page

sleonard

3 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  3:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same issue. I can use Alt-M as a workaround, but I have to hit it a couple of times. The first time, the list flashes and I get the E&C dialog. The second time I hit it, the list comes up and I can select something to jump to. Then I get the E&C dialog again. Then the process repeats if I want to use it again. Looks like a bug to me... I am loathe to turn off E&C since we have waited several years to get it back. Running w/32bit P4.

Thanks,
sbl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000