Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  9:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanna see what you can make from that:
C# project under VS2005, managed code AND unmanaged code debugging enabled.
When running a C# app under the debugger and it throws an unhandled exception, the VAX member list box can not more be used while debugging.
Pressing Alt+M or clicking on the dropdown button brings the VS2005 error message:
"Edit and Continue"
"Changes are not allowed when the debugger has been attached to an already running process or the code beeing debugged is optimized"

Ah, eh, uhm. Yeah. Dont ask me. Seems to happen only when unmanaged code debugging is enabled in an managed project. (I am using a unmanaged C/C++ dll which is called from C# code).

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  3:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have seen the same thing happen in a C# WinForms project, there is a seperate thread about that. i wonder if the trigger is the same thing.

can you still edit the source code? when i see this in C# all of the open tabs (tabbed view of the code) get blue padlocks to indicate that the code is read only, even though edit and continue is enabled in the options *puzzled*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  7:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually editing is still possible, anything is quite normal, except for that annoying message on Alt-M...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you running a 64bit processor? i have the feeling you are, but off hand i am not certain of your machine specification.

what language is the current file when this happens? i am reproducing this in C#, due to this thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4703

and when i am getting it i am unable to edit.

after a bit of fiddling there seem to be two possible work arounds.
a) turn off edit and continue, IDE tools menu -> options -> debugging -> edit and continue
b) make sure you pause the program before triggering alt-m. when the program is paused the blue padlocks on the tabs should disappear, and when they do this should stop happening.

for me the keyboard shortcut alt-m only produces this dialog every other time. when it does not appear at first you can scroll the list to select something, but unfortunately you cannot filter the list by typing.

case=1243

Edited by - feline on Jun 06 2006 2:34:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  2:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no 64bit... yet. dual xeon still.

Always happens in C#, my problem is less the ability to edit the code or not, but the ability to jump easily to other functions in this file. And as it currently is, the VAX memberlist does not help at all in that case because it doesnt work. It is probably not even a problem with VAX, but rather with the IDE.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  3:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
odd. this came up a while ago, but at the time i was totally unable to reproduce it. now i can reproduce it easily (having moved to a 64bit processor) but it only happens when the cs files are locked and cannot be edited.

having said that, i am getting a different error message:

"Edit and Continue"
"Changes are not allowed while code is running or if the option 'Break all processes when one process breaks' is disabled. The option can be enabled in Tools, Options, Debugging."

i have updated the case with these extra details.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000