Technical Support
 Crash on exit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

much

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  09:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.NET 2003 is crashing on exit every time for me with the new beta stuff. Is anyone else seeing this? It started happening immediately after upgrading from 1445 to 1522. I've tried doing a clean reinstall of VAX but this didn't help - though the crashes did of course go away when I tried using .NET again without VAX installed. I've tried each new beta, right up to the latest 1530, and it's still doing it.

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  09:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any other Add-In's installed.
Can you open the IDE with no solution loaded and exit correctly?
What kind of solution/project do you open and get a crash on exit? C/C++, C#, etc..?

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Go to Top of Page

much

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  09:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have SN Systems' VSI tool integration and Xoreax Incredibuild installed. However, I as said, this was all fine with the 10.2 branch of VAX (ie. builds <= 1446) and nothing else has changed apart from the VAX upgrade to the 10.3 branch.

No, the IDE crashes on exit even without a solution loaded.
Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you try to change the VSI tool integration and see if the crash persists. Don't worry about Incredibuild, as it plays nice (I use it all the time with VA X.)

There have been alot of changes internally for the 15xx builds. So some new crashes could pop up.

Go to Top of Page

much

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  11:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It occurs even without SN's add-in installed.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  11:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your test with the SN add-in, did you disable "at startup" and restart? (Unloading during a running execution of the IDE doesn't necessarily leave the IDE in a clean state.)

What OS?

Can you get a call stack?
Go to Top of Page

much

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  12:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I uninstalled it.

Windows XP.

I don't seem to be able to obtain the .dmp file generated for the crash. Clicking the 'debug' button in the Windows crash dialog just results in .NET crashing immediately as it's launched. I've tried copying the .dmp file out of the temporary directory while the prompt is up but Windows complains it's locked by another program, and of course it gets deleted as soon as the prompt goes. If you know of some other way to obtain this file, I can provide you with it.
Go to Top of Page

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  12:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attach a second instance of the IDE to the one you are going to close, that way you can catch it in the debugger and send that callstack to support.

Go to Top of Page

much

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  04:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That seemed to work, though I suspect the crash dump isn't going to be much help. Emailing it to support now.
Go to Top of Page

much

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  06:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any luck with this? Anyone else seen it?
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  01:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen this. We need to try to figure out what is different about your installation that everyone else's, since we have very few reports of problems as severe as this.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

reltham

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  01:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting a crash on exit with VAX 1524-1530 when I have SN-Systems VSI.NET plug-in enabled. If I disable the VSI.NET plugin then I don't get a crash on exit.

I tried attaching another copy of devenv to the one that I crash, but when it crashed (very late after the window is gone for a second) there was no call stack and the IP was at 0x00000000.

The crash will not occur if I just load devenv and then exit. I have to load a solution before exiting. Also, the crash does not occur with VAX 1446 and earlier.

This is using Visual Studio .NET 2003 on Windows XP Pro with a P4 D 3.2Ghz with HT (Pentium Extreme) that has 2GB of ram.

Go to Top of Page

much

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  04:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm. I wasn't getting the crash after uninstalling VSI.NET but I might try it again now. Also, my devenv will crash if I load it and then immediately exit without loading a workspace. Otherwise my problem is identical to reltham's, including the post-mortem debugging.
Go to Top of Page

ecellis
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  11:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also get this crash and have SN VSI.NET installed.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  12:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are people talking about the plugin from these people: http://www.snsys.com/index.asp ?

i have just been looking for a trial version to see if i can reproduce this crash, and got to the page:

https://www.snsys.com/Sales/evalform.asp?PID=29

which contains the comment:

Please note: Only official Sony/Nintendo registered developers may use our software, and we do security check applicants to ensure this.

i am getting the feeling getting a trial version to try, given i am not a registered game developer, could be a little tricky.

if i have the correct website can someone try reporting this bug to SN Systems and see if they can offer any help with it? it looks like the two plugin's are clashing somehow, but it may be down to something SN Systems are doing rather than VA, because VA is known to work with various other plugin's installed without automatically causing the IDE to crash.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

much

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  05:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's something that's changed in VA though, not SN's software. There were no problems under build 1446.
Go to Top of Page

reltham

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  1:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, build 1446 of VAX works fine. No crashes. It's only the 15xx beta builds that crash on exit with VSI.NET enabled.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  10:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of the discussion around another plug-in. It took cooperation from both development teams to get that one resolved.

Have any contacts at Sony?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  7:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can well believe that VA is the problem here, but without a copy of the plugin to test with, it is going to be hard to do any testing.

i have sent an email to their support email address, perhaps that will generate a helpful response.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VSI support have got back to me, and i have now reproduced the crash on exit. much i am seeing the same thing, there is no crash when using VA 1446. so the initial suggestion is to return to VA 1446 for now *sigh* or if you are unwilling to give up the refactoring to live with the crash on exit.

case=1840

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  01:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed in bulid 1531.
Go to Top of Page

much

12 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2006 :  04:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote