New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  2:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With version 1530, I'm seeing an issue in our C++ solution where VAX will (seemingly) randomly decide that large numbers of symbols in a particular file are mistyped (or not valid). This will occur on the active file without anything occuring in the IDE that I can tell (i.e. it happens when the IDE is just sitting there...not switching to another document, not after opening a new document, etc.). Basically, I'll be looking at some code....everything is good (no symbols are underlined, intellisense works, etc.), then suddenly lots of symbols in the file will become underlined as invalid.

There is a definite pattern to the symbols that it "loses" - they all seem to be declared in the same header, although for any given occurrence of this bug, the header containing the "invalid" symbols is different. I haven't been able to isolate anything I'm doing that might be triggering this bug, though the last time it happened it seemed to occur immediately after using the context drop-down (which lists all methods in the current document) to jump to a different method.

Has anyone else seen this? I had logging enabled the last time it happened - I'll email the log to support.

what could possibly go wrong? :D

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2006 :  2:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should also add that manually telling VAX to reparse the .cpp file clears it up.

Go to Top of Page

AdyR
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  1:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also noticed this since 1528. It didn't happen in 1524, which was the previous version I used, so it is somewhere between those two builds that it started. I am using VS2003 on Win XP Pro.
At the same time the underlining goes wrong I also find loads of members are missing from the auto-complete lists.
I have not been so lucky with manually reparsing clearing it up though.

Ady
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  2:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have activities external to the IDE that might be modifying your source?
Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  3:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far I know, no - this occurs when nothing else (that I know of) is happening on my machine.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2006 :  3:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
evolution which IDE are you using?

my first wild theory was it had something to do with VS2005's intellisense scanner being triggered off by using VA's refactoring. this can use a lot of CPU cycles for a long time, so might cause problems, but AdyR is using VS2003, which seems to rule this out.

do either of you have anti-virus software installed, or any other scanner type programs, like anti-spyware? if you have a program in common this might be a clue.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

AdyR
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  06:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Symantec AV ver 10 running as always. I do exclude the VA folder, the VS folder and my project folders from the real-time scan. I have also tried running with the AV disabled this morning but the problem occurred.
The problem never happened with 1524 then I updated to 1528 one lunch time and within an hour it occurred. I have tried resetting the database and clearing the history but this has not helped. The problem does seem to happen fairly consistently after I save a cpp file and then that file will have lots of methods underlined. Manually reparsing does seem to clear it up but only after I have scrolled the window to move the underlining of the screen and then scrolled the window back again, so sorry about throwing that in to muddy the waters in my previous post.

Ady
Go to Top of Page

evolution
Tomato Guru

USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2006 :  2:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have Symtantec AV 10, as well as Spysweeper (I also have my project folders excluded from AV's realtime scan).

I've also noticed that it seems to occur very often when I save a file (generally by starting a build).

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2006 :  6:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have emailed support, hopefully they will have a bright idea. it does sound like Symantec is the cause here, or else it is an odd coincidence. we have seen it cause problems before when running multiple IDE's at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

JCo

Germany
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  05:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also seen this problem with build 1525 on my system. I use VS6(SP5, German IDE) and have Trend Micro AV (with project folders and VA folders excluded from the realtime scan). Apart from VA, the only other addin I have is WndTabs, but that never gave me any problems. Reparsing the file(s) only helps for a brief period of time. Build 1525 was the first 15xx build I have tried and this problem was quite annoying, so I reverted back to 1446.
Go to Top of Page

Mindcrime

33 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2006 :  2:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not using that particular AV software (we use eTrust here) and I also see this problem. I often run 2 instances of the IDE FWIW.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  6:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sigh* that seems to rule out Symantic as a cause.

Mindcrime are you still getting this, or have you moved to an older build of VA? if you are, next time you get it, can you try placing the caret into one of the underlined words and see what the VA wizard bar reports. also, what does alt-g on the variable or function do?

i occasionally get wholesale underlining immediately after an edit, or a long pause while i stopped to think and i had unmatched brackets while i was thinking, but this only lasts a few seconds, at most, and then the parser catches up and the underlining disappears.

can someone try just leaving their machine alone for maybe a minute to see if the problem goes away? is the CPU maxed out? this would delay VA's reparsing of the files.

Go to Top of Page

Mindcrime

33 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2006 :  8:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on 1530 when I see this. It seems to happen when VAX is running for a while and I have another instance of the IDE running. ALT+G gives me a beep and the wizard bar is blank on one of these words.
Go to Top of Page

AdyR
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  12:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I switched back to 1524 yesterday morning and the problem has gone away so that might make it a bit easier to track down.
When the problem occurred for me it would be within seconds of saving a file, even if I had only just opened up the only instance of VS. I have left the underlining over lunch break and it was still there when I came back. Switching to another file and back or reparsing the file would solve the problem until I saved again.

Ady
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  1:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will chaise support about this one. AdyR thank you for the very clear description.

i am happily using 1530 on VS2005 all of the time and have never run into this, so we still have to work out why this is only happening to some people.

Go to Top of Page

AdyR
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  06:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have gone back to 1530 again and I agree that the problem does not happen with VS2005 but I can't switch over to that yet because we still need to support NT4 until the end of this year.
I have double checked and the problem is back again in VS2003 so it is definatley related to the big changes in 1525.

Ady
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  7:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting. we still have a lot of people on VS2003, if you are mainly doing C++ then VS2005 is hardly a compelling upgrade *shrug* so i would expect to see more reports of this.

plus i do quite a bit of my forum testing in VS2003, to spread things around a bit, and i have yet to see this myself. still knowing when it broke is always useful.

Go to Top of Page

Mindcrime

33 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  1:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it's related, but when I run 2 instances of VS2005, I see the message "Waiting for other instance of Visual Studio to flush DB..." in the status bar all the time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000