New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  03:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday, I have installed VS 2005 Prof on my machine, sitting next to VS .NET 2003.

VAX was already installed into VS .NET 2003 (and working), but after installing VS 2005 Prof, it showed the Splashscreen (including the VAX-Logo, which made me wonder) and then... POOF! Nothing! No IDE-Screen...

I had to re-install VAX 1530 to get VS 2005 to work.

Wish:
Could it be implemented that VAX disables itself if it detects the startup of an IDE it does not know yet? This was very confusing yesterday, and only after thinking about several options I simply re-installed VAX and then VS 2005 started properly.

What confused me was that VS 2005 already showed VAX in the splashscreen, I thought I'd have to install VAX first to get it recognized by VS 2005. In the end, I had to, but it would be nice if VAX could leave new, "unknown" IDE's it not yet registered with alone (disabled) until VAX is newly installed to register with the new IDE.

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  02:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that what you saw was all VS, not VA. I bet that you could have gotten by with running the regsvr32 commands:

regsvr32 vassistnet.dll
regsvr32 va_x.dll
regsvr32 vapkg.dll

But, of course, you have the issue resolved already.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  06:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't see anything (apart from the Splashscreen, which disappeared shortly) from VS 2005, until I reinstalled VAX (possibly the regsvr32-commands would have helped here, too), but it is extremely confusing, when you install a new IDE next to an older IDE (with VAX installed), and this new IDE does simply nothing except showing it's splashscreen for 5 Seconds...

There should be a routine within VAX that checks "hey, I've been started by an IDE, do I already KNOW this IDE or not?" and, if unknown to VAX yet, offer to reset/install the desired DLL's (like the Setup of VAX also does)..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000