#define parsing for tooltips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thruska
Ketchup Master

71 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  5:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to be able to hover over various bits of code and have #define's be parsed into the resulting compiler codes. Take, for instance, LoadImage(). When I hover, the tooltip says:

#define LoadImage LoadImageA
#define LoadImage LoadImageW

That's fine and dandy, but I'd _also_ like to see the parameters of the actual function call. I notice that if I delete the opening parenthesis (in code that calls LoadImage) and then re-add it, the tooltip that pops up shows me the parameter list for both options.

As an added bonus, it would be great if UNICODE vs. non-UNICODE builds could be differentiated. That way, only LoadImageA() or LoadImageW() shows up depending on the project settings.

I realize what I'm asking for is likely going to be _REALLY_ hard to implement. I actually have a use for the first feature. The second one is just a "nicety".

Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President
http://www.cubiclesoft.com/

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  11:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ANSI/Wide char problem (e.g., LoadImageA and LoadImageW defines appearing in a tooltip for LoadImage) has been an open issue (case 1184) since the parser was rewritten for the 14xx builds of VA X.

There are many other threads in the forum requesting VA X to be able to preprocess code to give more intelligent suggestions based on #defines in the project (e.g. _UNICODE), but this is prohibitively expensive both from a development and runtime performance perspective. This feature is found natively in Visual Studio 2005, but does have a runtime penalty. (Try fiddling with a #define in a header file used by 1,000 source files in 20 projects within a solution, then go fix yourself a cup of coffee while waiting for VS2005 to be responsive.)

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

thruska
Ketchup Master

71 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  12:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing that open issue to my attention. A simple way to be "more informative" could be to dump the contents of the open parenthesis into the hover tooltip. How much more overhead is that compared to deleting the '(' and then re-typing it in to get the same information? The UNICODE differentiation would just be a "nicety" for me...that is, it isn't necessary.

Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  10:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thruska what you are asking for is the bug fix.

case=1184

basically says exactly the same thing.

are you aware that if you place the caret in between the brackets and press CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE the parameter tooltip appears?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Whole Tomato Software

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  10:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bumped priority.
Go to Top of Page

thruska
Ketchup Master

71 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  5:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not aware of the Ctrl+Shift+Space shortcut. Thanks for the tip.

Although, I have to remember to not press that shortcut inside any other set of parenthesis and the tooltip disappears if I stop moving the caret inside an inner set of parenthesis (including typecasts) or brackets (referencing an element in an array). If I turn off VAX, regular Intellisense seems to work everywhere. Hmm...this might be a bug in VAX.

Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  5:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that was rather unexpected, and certainly looks like a bug to me.

case=2321

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  01:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=1184 is fixed in build 1649
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly