New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BruteForce

Greece
32 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  04:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I think the dialog in Project|C/C++Directories in VA options could use some usability improvement.

Here are the usability mistakes I made:
(1) I had no idea, and the dialog does not mention it, that the Win32 directories are picked up from the IDE. So I was trying in vain to add some new directories from the VA dialog. The buttons were there, albeit disabled, so I was wondering what I should do to enable them.
(2) Soon after I found out about the Custom page. I thought that the directories in the Custom page were in addition to those specified in Win32. So I added the directories I needed from the DDK. My DDK projects looked fine after that, but the next time I opened up a Win32 project it was a mess. Only then it came to me that when I select "Custom", Win32 directories no longer apply.
(3) Then I tried to copy the settings from Win32 into Custom. I switched to Win32 page, clicked on Copy, switched to custom, clicked on Paste. Then I get a dialog asking me whether I want to override the current list. I think it would be more appropriate to present a dialog with 3 options: (a) Append to current list (b) Override current list (c) Cancel.
Since I couldn't append, I opened up Notepad++, pasted the text there and entered the entries one by one. This sucks.

Another idea better than copy-pasting the entries would be a small check-listbox in the Custom page titled "Append to Custom List" which would allow me for example to check Win32 and Win64 and have their directories appended to Custom internally.
Internally means that the Win32/Win64 entries will not appear as entries under custom. Thus whenever Win32 directories get updated from the IDE Custom gets automatically updated as well.

Warm Regards,
Dimitris Staikos
Unibrain

When all else fails try common sense.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  07:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a general rule we recommend that people add any extra directories to the IDE's own list of directories

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.asp

allowing the user to append to the list is reasonable:

case=3768

Having the win32 directories merged into the custom directories is not going to work so well if you are using the custom directories for UNIX development, or for some other platform that is quite different to the win32 platform. Custom is there for the fairly rare occasions when you need VA to look at quite different things than the IDE.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  01:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=3768 is implemented in build 1649
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: