New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  1:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There are a couple of options on the "Text Editor->C#->General->Statement Completion" tab in VS 2005 that I am unsure of. Using visual assist, are these option obsolete and should the be turned of (they should be turned off if VA has no benefit from them).

The reason I ask is two fold. First, if it slows down the editing because the VS 2005 editor must do redundant processing then why delay popups. The second reason is that I like to turn visual assist off to record and run text modifying instant macros (Ctrl+Shift+R & P). If I don't turn VA off it slows the macro down not realizing it is a non-interactive edit.

Is it possible for VA to detect a macro is running and ignore editor events? Then I wouldn't have to turn VA off while recording/running macros.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All options on the tab you mention are active for C#. (We only recommend disabling the Navigation Bar at the bottom of the tab.)

Enabling/disabling the options do not impact performance of the IDE or VA X.

What option would you like to understand?

As you have discovered, your only option today to record macros is to disable VA X first using one of our toolbar buttons. (VA X doesn't detect you are trying to record a macro.)
Go to Top of Page

rittjc
Ketchup Master

USA
84 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  4:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was suggesting that you add a check to see if it is being run from a macro. I am pretty sure I have seen a flag that indicates if the IDE is executing as macro in the DTE. If before you pop up assistance, you disable the construction of suggestions because it is implied that there is no user to assist, then it would run worlds faster for repetitive macros.

My original question was, is the VS IDE assist stuff used by VA in any way? If not, why shoul have it enabled? When running a macro, if I turn VA off, then I still have to run the performance gauntlet of VS's assist attempt because I left it on, not knowing if it is needed, and if I am using VA and it does not use any of the MS, then if I should turn these options off "permanantly" so that when I disable VA (clicking the "On/Off" button) then I am running free and clear and my macros should not be hindered by any Human assist MS functions running despite VA being turned off. Does that make sense?

In short, when running an edit macro, I have to turn you off. If you are not using any MS functions then why should I have to turn them off, they should always be off which they are NOT off now as I don't know whether it affects VA's operation in any way.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  2:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA gets the content for its completion listboxes in C# from the IDE's intellisense parser. so if the IDE's C# parsing is disabled, you will no longer get the help you want from VA.

i am not seeing an option in VS2005 that obviously turns off the IDE's suggestions while keeping the intellisense parser running.

disabling VA when recording keyboard macro's has come up before

case=724

personally i record and playback macro's in an external editor, since i have always found that intellisense gets in the way of macro's, since i am not actually programming, instead i am re-shaping the text in very specific manors. plus i personally find the IDE's keyboard macro's to be terribly under powered.

however this requires you having a suitable external editor that you know how to use. personally i use VIM, but it has a VERY steep learning curve if you want to write interesting macro's.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  12:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=724 is fixed in build 1848

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly