New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peck797
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  06:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just installed 1543 and I find that the keyboard-macro-slow-down problem is now even more pronounced.

A quick test with my stopwatch showed that it took 10 seconds to type 12 characters (I chose "012345678901") when in keyboard-record-macro mode (Ctrl-Shift-R) with VAX enabled. The CPU is stuck at 100% while it is doing this.

Disable VAX and the keyboard responds as normal.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
which IDE are you using? Which version of VA were you using before 1543?

I have just tried VS2003 with both VA 1541 and VA 1543, and via the tools menu I told the IDE to record a temporary macro, and on a blank line I typed:

// 1234567890

followed by a new line. this was slow with both versions of VA, but I am not seeing any serious CPU spikes.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

peck797
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  5:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry. I am (still) on VS 2005 and I was using a custom build that Sean made for me while we were testing out a fix for something else. It called itself 1540 but I'm not sure if that was an "official" 1540.

Performance has always been bad with record-and-playback but it's now become very bad. How long did your stake to type?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  12:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
using VS2005 and VA 1543 it took maybe 3 to 5 seconds to type the comment while recording the macro, which is a slightly slow typing speed.

I then stopped that macro and recorded the same macro a second time, again as a temporary macro and I was able to type at normal speed. I am not seeing any major CPU usage here on record, and certainly nothing that I would describe as a major speed problem.

Do you have any other plugin's installed?
What language are you working in?
Does typing in a comment make any difference? It bypasses issues with the IDE getting excited about parsing the code and making suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

peck797
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  1:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typing speed is at the "slow but bearable" level at the moment, just as you have. (I just had a crash from the the IDE so had to restart it.)

I use both C# and C++ and see this behaviour, so I presume that the language doesn't matter.

I didn't try typing a comment. I will try it next time that it happens.

I get the feeling that things start to slow down after the IDE has been up for a few days. Do you remember that old "vague feeling" that I and some others have mentioned about having the IDE running for days at a time? This vague feeling is still there; it isn't very happy to be left running but I've stopped bugging you about it :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18952 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  08:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing some mixed results here recording a temporary macro. Just typing a single line was not showing any problems, but if I record a macro and type the block of text:

once I get onto the second and third lines the CPU starts hitting 100% every time I type a letter. If I disable VA and record the same macro I am not getting any CPU usage spikes. It is odd that moving onto the second and third lines would be an issue.

The simplest fix would be

case=724

which says to disable VA when recording a macro. This makes sense, since VA is designed to be interactive, which is not going to work so well when recording and playing back a keyboard macro.

As for the general slowdown of the IDE, I do know what you are talking about. At my last job I had to reboot my machine once a week, or more often, since everything would slow to a crawl. This was most noticeable in the IDE but it effected other programs as well. Personally I blamed it on hibernating the machine, but I never was able to pin down the exact cause *sigh*

It *might* be a problem with VA, certainly VA does have some bugs if you know where to look but I never found any evidence to suggest it was a VA problem.

Go to Top of Page

peck797
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  08:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks. I'm happy to turn off VAX for macro recording/playback. Especially now that damned-elusive Data menu has gone away and there is no hot-key clash :)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  12:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=724 is fixed in build 1848

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: