1533: Open file in workspace dialog errors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  11:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

As you can see, sometimes VA X has some troubles with the files in large workspaces. There are several files starting with option, but neither of those is shown. It looks like this list gets corrupted after working with it for a while. If I reopen the solution everything is fine again. It might also be worth mentioning that on the top of the list, I have two entries named respectively / and '.

Also, sometimes when working with multiple files that have the same filenames (but different paths), some of the files seem to duplicate while the other seems to disappear.

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  2:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What IDE are you using?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  3:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i often work on a solution with over 4,000 files and i have never seen this problem in OFIW. this used to be with VS2003 and now with VS2005.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  10:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS2003

quote:
Originally posted by feline

i often work on a solution with over 4,000 files and i have never seen this problem in OFIW. this used to be with VS2003 and now with VS2005.

How long does a session last in your case? I never shut down my computer at work so the solution can remain open for weeks. At first I'm not seeing these problems, they tend to come in after a week or so.

Edited by - .oisyn on Sep 11 2006 10:33:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2006 :  7:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that may be the issue then. i hibernate my machine at night, but after a week of this i have to reboot it. there seems to be some process that does not like being hibernated, but i have never worked out exactly which process it is.

i am assuming you do not hibernate your machine, and you do not shut down the IDE. is this correct?
once this starts happening does restarting the IDE fix it, or do you have to reboot your workstation?
what OS are you using?

i am assuming some form of resource is being exhausted, but off hand i am not sure what that would be.

Go to Top of Page

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  1:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
i am assuming you do not hibernate your machine, and you do not shut down the IDE. is this correct

Yes, I'm running the devenv.exe process with the solution opened for multiple weeks straight, without hibernating. Restarting the IDE fixes the problem.

It might also be worth mentioning that I usually have more devenv instances open at any one time.

Edited by - .oisyn on Sep 13 2006 1:03:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  12:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by .oisyn

It might also be worth mentioning that I usually have more devenv instances open at any one time.

Same solution in multiple instances or different solutions?

Do you experience other problems or is it just the OFIW list that goes bad?

Edited by - sean on Sep 14 2006 12:22:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  09:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Different solutions. And it's just the OFIW that bugs.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2006 :  11:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you noticed if the File list in the VA View suffers from the same affliction?

You write: worth mentioning that on the top of the list, I have two entries named respectively / and '.

Are you saying that the OFIW list has items for / and . or that the IDE file list has those items?

Also, when you notice the files are missing do you notice whether the number of files listed in the caption changes (the second number)?

Edited by - sean on Sep 14 2006 1:38:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  05:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean

Have you noticed if the File list in the VA View suffers from the same affliction?

Hmm I never use that window. I can't check as I'm currently not having the problem

quote:
You write: worth mentioning that on the top of the list, I have two entries named respectively / and '.

Are you saying that the OFIW list has items for / and . or that the IDE file list has those items?

The OFIW has them. Those entries seem pretty much arbitrary and always seem to be made out of just a single character. Currently I have seen /, ', . and a space

quote:
Also, when you notice the files are missing do you notice whether the number of files listed in the caption changes (the second number)?

I haven't really see it change, but now (when not having this issue) I have 1983 files in my workspace, while in the screenshot I posted in the topicstart I had 1628. I haven't updated the project file since then, so they seem to had disappeared (and a LOT of them as well I might add)
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  01:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the / ' . and space entries in the OFIW appear right after opening a solution or do they appear after a solution has been open for some time?
Go to Top of Page

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  06:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after a solution has been open for some time

Edited by - .oisyn on Sep 26 2006 06:58:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  11:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when you say some time, is this a few hours, a couple of days? or a couple of weeks?

Go to Top of Page

.oisyn
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  10:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends. For example, I have the project open for two weeks now and nothing is wrong. It's really hard to reproduce, but I've encountered it a couple of times already in different sessions.

If there's anything I can do to capture debug information when I encounter it I'll be glad to. Would a crash dump of the whole devenv process help?

Edited by - .oisyn on Oct 05 2006 10:36:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  2:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next time this occurs, click the "show only files" checkbox twice (to restore it back to the state that it was when you started).
If the missing files show up, then the problem is local to this dialog.
If not, then it is a problem with our project management.
In either case we'll proceed from that point.

Edited by - sean on Oct 06 2006 2:46:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000