1535: Rename bugs and requests
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  6:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) When you double click the items in the rename dialog, it will only navigate to the first item, any subsequent dbl-clicks are ignored.

2) The item that is navigated to is not really made visible, the text of interest is the first line off the bottom of the view.

3) Can this dialog be made modeless?

4) Perhaps this is by design, but renaming one of several overloaded member functions in a C++ class automatically renames all the functions with the same name. Could an option be added to rename only the function you selected (differentiate by signature)?

Thanks,
Paul

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  12:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Item 1: In VS2003 SP1 and VAX 1535, I can double-click on any item in the list, and it goes to the item. What kind of item are you renaming? Perhaps it makes a difference. I tried a local variable.

Item 2: The window is scrolled to show the item clicked on for me.

Item 3: With the exception of problem #2, I don't understand why you would want it modeless. Could you explain?

Item 4: I agree that this would be nice. Although I can see an issue with default parameters.
case=2732

Joe Pizzi

Edited by - jpizzi on Sep 27 2006 12:44:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  2:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) I'm using VS2003, no SP1. I was renaming a public member function of a C++ class. The rename dialog would list the header and cpp file and a few other cpp files which had client code that called the function. I could dbl-click client file #1 and it would open it (though not make the line visible). I would then dbl-click the second client file and nothing would happen.

3) I mainly just wish to explore the context of the client calls a bit more. I agree, if 1) and 2) worked for me, the need would be mitigated.

-Paul
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  11:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying this on a class member function doesn't change it for me. Still works. Is installing SP1 an option for you? This does not seem like a likely solution, but it is the first obvious difference between your setup that does not work and mine that does work.

Is this templated code? Is it a class that is involved in a hierarchy? Perhaps an overridden function? Anything at all "strange" about the function or class?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2006 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you aware of the "Find References" feature of VA? this produces a new tab, which you can pin or set to auto hide. this is exactly the same list of references that rename generates and uses. if i understand correctly you actually wanted Find References rather than rename.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  3:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm aware of the 'Find References' command. However, when I attempt to invoke it, nothing happens. I tried this with several different solution files we have with no luck. Any idea what would cause this? Are there any VAX settings to check?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  6:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have never had find references fail for me.

which IDE are you using?
if you are using VS2003, VS2005 and place the caret inside a local variable (as a simple test) and then open the VAssistX menu is "Find References..." enabled or disabled?

the fact that rename works seems to prove that the code for find references works.
how are you trying to trigger find references?

Go to Top of Page

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  6:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VS2003 with no SP1. I tried invoking it three ways on a local variable inside a function (caret in the variable): 1) Hovering over variable until drop down arrow appears and then select 'Find References' 2) Shift-rt-click the variable to bring up the VAX context menu, and 3) Rt-click in the gutter to bring up the VAX context menu. All three times the same thing - menu item is enabled, but when I select it nothing happens.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  1:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you have any other plugin's installed?

in VS2003 VA creates a new tab, just like the output and IDE's find results tab to hold the results of the find. i am wondering if VA is having problems creating this tab.

in the VAssistX menu is the "tools -> find references results" option enabled? it should be after you have run at least one find references. does anything happen when you select this option?

can you try:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> General -> Reset Window Layout button

this will undo any changes you have made to your window layout, but if the window layout is somehow the problem this may allow find references to work correctly.

Go to Top of Page

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  1:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My VAX->Tools sub-menu contains four items:

- VA View
- Spell Check...
- Sort Selected Item
- Reparse Current File

Resetting the IDE window layout did not help.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have just checked two separate machines, that menu option should be there. can you try reinstalling VA 1535 and when asked to reset the IDE reply yes.

a reset is required to get the new menu options. it is possible this will also fix find references, although this is a long shot.

Go to Top of Page

pwc
Tomato Guru

138 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  3:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reinstalling fixed it. I can now execute 'Find References' - what a great feature. BTW, the installer never asked be about resetting the IDE; it did ask about installing latest AutoText, which I declined.

The dbl-clk navigation in the rename is still broke. If I dbl-clk a file, it opens. If I then try to activate the text editor window by clicking on it, I then can no longer dbl-clk navigate any entries in the rename dialog.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  4:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for me double clicking in the find list of the rename dialog is fine, until i double click on a reference in a file that is not opened. when the IDE opens the file behind the dialog no enhanced syntax highlighting is applied to the file, and the rename dialog stops responding to double click on the results.

is this the same as what you are seeing? the work around is to use find references instead, which is why i was keen to get it working for you. I agree it is increadible, I am always using it myself

case=1053

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000