New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lib_team

France
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2006 :  05:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
when I write some code in function, the suggestion list appear and a default choice is select by VA. If I press Tab or Enter the select choice is "write".

But If I write some code outside of function (in header for example), the suggestion list appear but no default choice is made by VA. So when I press Tab or Enter, nothing append (except a tab character or a carriage return). I must use bottom or up key to select a suggestion and after press Tab or Enter.

To reproduce it, just create a simple projet and write this code :
class CTest
{
};

typedef CTe      // We want to write "typedef CTest CMyTest" for example

When you type "CTe" after typedef, a suggestion list appear with "CTest" but no choice is made by default ! So I can press Tab or Enter !

There is a issue ?

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  02:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is by design. The choices in suggestion lists are quite a bit more likely to be wrong, so we do not have one selected by default. Only when the confidence of being right is high enough do we select an item from the list.

Now, don't ask me how we determine the confidence level. I don't have that much insight.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2006 :  03:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you are creating a definition (or when VA thinks you a typing a definition) suggestion lists appear without any item selected. This is by design. We had many more complaints when there is a selection - that complaint was that you had to press escape before you could type a tab or press enter to break the line since tab/enter would insert whatever was selected and change the definition you were typing.

case=2531 is an enhancement request that would optionally make VA always select an item in suggestion lists regardless of whether or not you are typing a definition
Go to Top of Page

Ivo

34 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  10:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, another case when it seems to fail is:
class CTest
{
static bool g_bBool;
}

bool CTe[st]::g_bBool=false;

Ivo
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  11:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivo

bool CTe[st]::g_bBool=false;

It's clear what the intent is in that example, but what is on the line when you want to complete CTe?

If it is just:
bool CTe

Then that looks like a definition in progress - so VA will not select any items in the suggestion list.
Go to Top of Page

lib_team

France
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  03:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to add an enhancement request about this. It will be great for us.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

lib_team

France
18 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  06:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you added this feature has an option, it is possible to validate suggestion only if Tab was pressed and not Enter (for this case and/or for other case).

It will be great because "Enter" is very use in declaration to go create new line. For example, in the case with "class CTest", if an other class is named "CTestLong", when we type "class CTest", VA will suggestion "CTestLong". If I type Enter, I want a new line. If I type Tab I want VA replace CTest by the suggestion CTestLong.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  09:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the problem with this idea is that VA will no longer behave how people expect. suddenly Enter will no longer accept the suggestion some of the time, but there will be no visual clue to tell the user why this is.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000