Technical Support
 Freezing in 1535
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ryan Ginstrom

4 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  06:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I call up the context menu by right clicking in a document while "Updating Intellisense" appears in the status bar, Visual Studio frequently freezes.

I also have Ref++ installed, and although I have not tried uninstalling to see if this contributes, my Ref++ install has been unchanged since April 06 (they unfortunately don't upgrade as frequently as you guys), and I have never noted this problem in previous versions of VAX.

I am using Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition, VAX 1535

By the way -- I am looking forward to you guys duplicating the refactoring features of Ref++ so I can get rid of that program.

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  12:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "updating intellisense" message is from the IDE not VA. If you are displaying the built-in (native) context menu, then it would seem the problem might be with the IDE. Are you able to reproduce this problem? If so, disable VA at startup and see if it continues to occur without VA.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Ginstrom

4 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  1:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The "updating intellisense" message is from the IDE not VA."

I figured as much, but when VA is disabled, I do not get these very long "Updating Intellisense" messages. With VA installed, the progress bar will get about 80% finished, then take 5-10 minutes to complete.

It's hard to predict when the Updating message will come up, but three times today I noticed the message, tried right clicking in a document, and had the application freeze.

Again, with VA disabled, this message is gone too quickly to test for freezes. And this did not happen until I installed 1535.

I'll try for a few days with VA disabled, and see if the problem repeats.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  10:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you using C++ ? it seems likely.
approximately how large is your solution? the C++ intellisense parser in VS2005 is known to be "rather slow" with large C++ solutions.

if you have:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> listboxes -> get content from default intellisense

turned off and VA enabled you could try creating two zero length, read only NCB files. you need to do this while the IDE is closed, placing one in the base directory of the solution and one in the %TEMP% directory. the IDE will complain when you load it, and it will no longer highlight inactive #if 0, #endif blocks as inactive.

when the IDE freezes can you open task manager and check the CPU usage?
if the IDE is consuming 100% of your CPU, or 50% if you are on a dual CPU system then this would make sense. if you leave the IDE does it return to life after a few minutes?

none of this explains why right clicking should cause this problem though *puzzled*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000