Technical Support
 15xx: where is VA walking?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mackomilos

35 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  07:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not used to write such kind of topics, but I'm really sorry to tell that I'm being very dissapointed from VA builds more and more. Its behaviour is unacceptable.
- after few minutes of work in VC 2005, it eats up whole memory (800MB of operating mem, 1400MB of virtual mem), which makes the IDE to stop responding
- it often stops to offer any suggestion (also it seems that VA puts default Intellisync out of the action)
- if the suggestion list appears, it mostly offers meaningless suggestions
- and many many other problems (I think I could write tons of pages about these issues)

I don't know what's happened with the development (it WAS the perfect product), but the latest releases is horrible and I think over that it's not better to completely disable VA.

rhummer
Tomato Guru

USA
527 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2006 :  10:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been using the 15xx builds since they first went into a private beta. I've seen no kind of performance issues. I see VA X as rock solid for me, minus issues that I've seen and reported.

I've never seen VA X suck my system/virtual memory to that size. Are you working with C++ or C# or any other language? Does you're solution contain multiple projects? Does VA X say it is parsing when you see the memory skyrocket?

Could you turn on logging as descriped here: http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.asp#log

and send the log to [email protected] . This could help in find some issues that you are describing.

Tools Engineer - Raven Software
VS2005 SP2/VS2008 SP1 - VAX <LATEST> - Win 7 x64

Edited by - rhummer on Sep 25 2006 10:08:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

mackomilos

35 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  04:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I encountered serious problems with VA, in the fury I've deleted whole installation of VA with all folders in Program Files and it seems that VA works correctly again.

But if the problems appear again, surely I will send the log files to support
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  9:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deleting VAX cache and history folders is a magic potion for many problems. The setup should do that automagically at every install, would avoid some troubles.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  02:59:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The installer does delete the cache. Obviously we've got some problems that need to be sorted out. In the meantime, rather than deleting the entire cache or reinstalling, you can delete the project symbol caches which is where the problems seem to be.

Delete the directories named proj_* in the [vc6|vc7|vc8] subdirectory of the VA installation directory (yes, the vc7 and vc8 dirs should really be named vs7 and vs8).
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  12:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=3022

Fixed in build 1540.
Go to Top of Page

Wasuh
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  02:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by support

case=3022

Fixed in build 1540.

i have version 1548 and it's still the same error!
1600MB in memory.

Do something with this. ;)

i reinstall it and now it's working

Rafa-?.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  08:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What triggered the problem, if anything? Did it simply occur?

At a wild guess you had a corrupt VA symbol database, and the rebuild forced a rebuild of the symbol database, thus fixing the corruption.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000