unwanted scroll of Intellisense
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trond

11 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  4:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using VS2003 SP1 and VA X 10.3.1559

If I create a new file (.h or .cpp) something strange occurs- there is no caret. This happened just after I installed SP1 on VS2003. Now, in that document, when I write the keyword "class", the VA Intellisense pops up. BUT: the more letters of "class" I write, the more to the left goes the Intellisense pop-up- instead of staying still.
(If the document HAS a caret (obtainable for me by pressing Enter) none of the above will happen.)
Please tell me what's wrong.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  1:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not recognise this problem.

How are you creating the file?
Have you saved the file at this point?
Do you have any other plugin's installed?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

trond

11 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  02:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the problem MAY be with VS2003, not VA. Anyway, to answer you:
- if I create an _empty_ console project, I usually add a file by File> Add New Item...
- I don't have any plugins except VA- but a part of the problem existed before installing VA.
- I have saved the file.
- VS2003 unpatched (ante-SP1)doesn't have this problem;
- if I create a default console project (with stdafx etc.) it displays the cursor allright, on the very first row. BUT if I were to erase _everything_ in the file and press backspace some more, the cursor/caret would dissappear!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  10:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using VS2003 SP1 and VA 1561 I have just created a new empty C++ console project.
After using File -> Add New item to add a CPP file the caret is in the file as soon as the file is opened.

What part of this problem did you see before installing VA?
If you disable VA, as described in this FAQ entry:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

does this make any difference?

Do you have up to date video card drivers installed? This is a long shot, but it is possible it is some form of video driver problem.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  2:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It turns out this is a known problem:

case=2436

For now pressing enter to make the caret reappear is probably the best solution.

Go to Top of Page

trond

11 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  11:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To feline:
Please, tell me how do you know it's a known problem- I mean where can I find your source on the net (having searched for 2+ years for the solution, I'm anxious to see it with my own eyes)!

(And you said you didn't have my problem- how come, if it's a known issue?)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  2:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The description of case=2436 says:

>> If you add an empty file to a project, double-click the file in Solution Explorer to open it, the cursor is not visible in the window. You can still edit.

And one of our developers has commented on this bug report, they have also seen the problem. So it is listed as bug, and it has been confirmed.

For some reason when I try these steps I cannot reproduce the bug on my test system. The bug report lists winXP as the OS, while I am currently testing under win2k, so it is possible it is an OS specific bug.

So it is a known issue, while also being an issue I cannot reproduce so far. Sometimes bugs only happen under very specific conditions, and unless you have everything setup just right you cannot reproduce the problem.

Does this make sense?

I do not follow your comment "I'm anxious to see it with my own eyes". You are already seeing this problem, you have reported it to me.

Go to Top of Page

trond

11 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  3:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To feline:
First I'd like to thank you for clarifying this bug.
Then as for "see with my own eyes": it's not the _problem_ I'm not seeing, it's other people having the same bug as me that I haven't seen (ie seen in my long searches on the net).
I also searched the Whole Tomato forums for "case=2436" and I've 2 more questions:
1) Isn't it strange that so "in-your-face", obvious problem has only been reported by coupla people? I mean, almost everyone with VS2003 SP1 shoulda had it everytime they created a new .cpp/.h!
2) If it's VS2003's fault (I had the bug BEFORE VA), could you fix it anyway? And about when?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2007 :  08:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall ever encountering this problem, and I have spent quite a lot of time in VS2003 over the years. I am not sure why so few people have ever reported this, but personally I rarely create new empty files inside the IDE. I tend to create them with a file manager, so they are in the correct location in the directory tree, and then drag them into the solution.

The working theory is that VA is causing the problem. The bug says that completely removing VA from the system stops the bug happening.

Unfortunately I have no current estimate on when this will be fixed.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000