Feature Requests
 Qt library
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sega

4 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  09:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why you great tool do not support Qt library. Are you planing to add such support in future?

Thanks,
Sergey

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  09:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
which version of Qt are you using? I have used VA with Qt 3.3.1 very happily for quite some time. The main problem I had was the first signal and slot function in each class was not known. To fix for this edit the file:

C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\Misc\\StdAfx.h

And add the lines:

#define slots
#define signals public

having done this you will need to trigger:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Rebuild symbol databases

and then restart your IDE.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Sega

4 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  10:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for reply.

I used Qt 3.3.5. But I think VA is not fully support Qt specific features like signals and slots. Also VA is not working properly on "ui.h" files for forms generated by Qt designer.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  11:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what sort of problems are you getting? I have done a lot of work with Qt 3.3.3 and once I made those changes to VA's stdafx.h file I had very few problems. note you DO have to rebuild VA's symbol database after making the change. plus you need to reapply this change to the stdafx.h file after each VA upgrade, since VA ships with the latest stdafx.h file.

without those additional lines signal and slot functions are often unknown to VA.

i never used "ui.h" files, doing all of my forms by hand. what sort of problems are you seeing with these?

Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  10:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this thread looking for configuration issues with QT, the problem with .ui files is that they are not reparsed when they are changed through the designer.

A class developed with designer consists of the designer file widget.ui the developer files widget.h and widget.c++ and the generated files widget_ui.h (which declares and implements all the widget placed in the designer)

the class declared in widget_ui.h is usually a member in widget.h, all the widgets in the ui are public members in that class. When a new widget is added via the designer widget_ui.h is regenerated at least after a build.

But even after the build the new member is not available via visualX autocompletion ie typing "ui.newWidgetName ..." does not work, one has to manually reparse the widget_ui.h file to make things work

I hope this helps, Harald
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  3:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the ui files part of the solution?
If not can you add them, so that they are listed in solution explorer, and OFIW.

Can you also try turning on:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary

and see if this helps?

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  7:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.ui files are xml files that which are used to create source files via the Qt ui compiler - uic.

VA will not parse .ui files. VA will not see any changes to the source generated via the compilation of .ui files until you run uic - usually through a build command (and build rules that invoke uic, etc).

One key step is that the generated files need to be added to the project for VA to know about them and care if they change during a build.
Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  10:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the files are in the project, the .ui files and the widget_ui.h files but VA does not see the change in the widget_ui.h files when the project is rebuilt, I have to manually tell VA to reparse the file to get new member variables available in the suggestion boxes
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  11:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the "watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary" option enabled (VA options|text editor|C/C++)?
Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  09:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, I did not know about this option, but that does not really help. I works fine when the file that is generated widget_ui.h is loaded into the workspace, but it does not work when it is just sitting in the solution.

But basically that would be the functionality that should do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  09:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which version of Qt are you using?

I have never used the designer, always having done all of my UI and layouts by hand, so it will take me a little while to work out how to make a test project. Best to use the same basic version as you.

Are all of the files on your C: drive, or are they on a network drive?

Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  12:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the setup ...

version 4.2.2 of QT (commercial), QT visual studio integration, build 1541 of VAX, visual studio 2005

all of the files are on the C: drive qt is in c:\\developer\\qt project is on the desktop
Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  12:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot ... there is an option to qmake that creates visual studio projects if you don't have the commercial version of QT. Otherwise you can just create a project within Visual Studio
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  5:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using VS2005 and Qt 4.1.2 I have opened an existing Qt project, and then I ran QDesigner and accepted a standard template form. I have saved this out as a ui file, which is lovely, but it is not helping me.

I opened QAssistant and went to the QDesigner manual, but there does not appear to be anything telling me how to actually use the dialog I have just created in my code *rolls eyes* I expected this to be covered in the getting started section. I don't really want to read though lots of documentation just to find the answer. Do you know where it is?

When you mention "QT visual studio integration" do you mean your version is capable of this, or do you mean you have installed a Qt plugin into the IDE?

Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  10:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
QT visual studio integration is a plugin that comes with the comercial version of QT, among others it makes the QT designer available within visual studio (similar to forms designer, works reasonably well) but also has the project templates for Qt, I could generate an empty UI project and mail it to you i don't know how well that would work on your side (paths and all). When I start a build all the QT codegenerators are run on the project that is uic, moc and the resource compiler

As for using the Designer on it's own, I think you need to run uic on the .ui file to create a .h file this you include and use to create the ui in your code

Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  11:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure this is what is desired, but I have the settings to have VS compile the .ui files and the .h files that need to be moc'd.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  3:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered if you were using the Qt plugin. I have a memory that there were problems using the Qt plugin along side VA, but this was quite a while ago.

I have never used the Qt plugin myself, always doing everything manually, with the moc'ing being done via custom build events on the header files.

Would you be able to produce a very basic project that shows this effect and then zip it up and send it to me? This way I can run the same basic tests as you, so we would know we were looking at the same thing. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Are you using the stand alone Qt designer, or are you using the plugin? I am under the impression that the plugin allows you to use a slightly modified form of the standard form designer inside the IDE.

Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  09:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uhmm, there seems to be a problem with the support form, I am getting the following error message

Persits.Upload.1 error '800a0005'
The system cannot find the path specified.
/support/contact.asp, line 22

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  2:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same problem. This happened once before, so hopefully the same fix will work this time. I have passed on this report.

In the mean time I have just found and replied to your email, which will let you email me a test project. I tend to run a little behind on my email due to the amount I get *sigh*

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  8:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with the form for requesting assistance is fixed.
Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  08:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a button in the designer integration toolbar that cause the ui file to be reparsed, when this button is used VAX updates correctly, when "Build Solution" is used VAX does not update
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  5:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the solution you emailed me, which is starting to answer some questions, while raising others. One thing that instantly leaps out at me are the icons in solution explorer:

I do not recognise these red icons on the generated files. They may not even matter, since the generated files are listed in OFIW, so VA should be monitoring them correctly.

Can you download and run filemon:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Filemon.mspx

you will need to filter it to only show you activity on the file "ui_vatest.h" otherwise you will be overwhelmed with activity very quickly What I am interested in here is what happens when you do a build with a modified UI.

In your test project there is a custom build setup step on the "vatest.ui" file, which is building the "ui_vatest.h" file. So there is no need for the Qt plugin to be involved at this stage. The .h file should just be re-generated, VA should see a file in the solution change, and then re-parse it.

Which is why we were asking about the "watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary" option. Is this actually turned on? If so then filemon should show you VA reparsing this header file both after a build and after you trigger the rebuild button in the designer.

Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  09:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I get the same icons, i downloaded filemon and briefly played with watching what happends but some weirdness ensued, it seems that uic is started automatically even when the ui file is not saved, but then all of a sudden the symbols are available, even though no VA activity (indicated by reads and writes in the Program files/Visual Assist folder) showed up.

I have to install the whole setup at my home pc ... this is taking a little bit too much work time, I will try and get back to this after the christmas weekend

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2006 :  4:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A complicating factor is that the information may be coming from the IDE's intellisense. Based on the custom build events in the project I looked at, and the fact the files are part of the solution, I don't see why VA is having a problem.

You may want to try disabling the IDE's intellisense, as explained in this FAQ:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

this way there is one less variable to consider, which will hopefully help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000