Technical Support
 1539: Random corruption of header files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tcassisi

14 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  12:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has occurred sporadically going back quite a few versions and is both extremely annoying and impossible to reproduce on demand.

After day-long editing sessions with VS8, I am in the following situation:
* Two or more VS8 sessions open;
* 5+ .h/.cpp files open in each one, usually unique.

In my usual code/debug cycle, I start to type any kind of statement that requires a "(" character.

When the bug arises, typing the "(" will just not appear at the current insertion point where it usually would.

On one key occasion, I tried quite a few times, backspacing between, etc and it turned out that VA X was overwriting part of my winerror.h file.

Just now, the same thing occurred, however, a random header file (from quite a deep include path) was opened and I saw the "*" appear in the VS8 tab to indicate I'd changed it - focus remained on my current file.

When I tabbed to the file, I could see all my typing (quite a few "(") randomly in the middle of that file. Doing Ctrl-Z many times seemed to undo the changes, but did not clear the "*" (if that means anything).

This has happened only around 5% of my usages of VA, and it is only resolvable by closing and reopening that particular VS8 copy - the others are not effected, nor does the problem ever occur immediately in the new VS8.

It seems to take a lot of editing, however, this is all within a single (long) day, as the machine is shutdown every evening.

Any suggestions appreciated.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  1:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mention "winerror.h", was this file open when this happened? I am assuming that this can only effect an open file.

We have had intermittent reports of this before, but you seem to be getting this a lot more regularly than most people. Have you ever seen this happen when there is only one IDE open?

There have been some recent problems with VA's symbol database becoming corrupt when working with two IDE's open. It is possible the same effect is happening here - this is just a theory though.

A load of changes have been made for the next beta release to try and fix this problem. Hopefully this will be more reliable for you. I have no idea when the next beta is due though.

The changes I am talking about are covered by:

case=3137

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tcassisi

14 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  2:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first time it happened was some time ago on a previous build and I don't recall whether the file winerror.h was open or not. After that one (it took me some time to find out why my project suddenly did not compile due to missing #defines from that file), I've just been closing VS8 and reopening.

However, this time I thought I'd better report it as I clearly noticed that VA X/VS8 opened one of my project files (in a different solution from this VS8 session) without me doing anything (other than pressing sequences of "(" and Backspace). Focus was not changed; the file merely appeared in it's own tab with the usual "*" modification indicator.

Incidentally, the file that was unexpectedly opened was unrelated to any symbols in the current file I was editing.

I tend to have at least 2 VS8 sessions open first thing in the morning and left open until the evening and I switch editing/debug/compile between the two regularly.

Will try to keep an eye out for any strange behaviour relating to memory usage or other DB corruption indicators, although this issue is easily worked around by reopening VS8 (provided I correct any file corruption first).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  5:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is being discussed via email

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts