Technical Support
 1540: No delay for OFIW and FSIW
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rasmuss

33 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  05:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using 1418 until now, and I'm trying out 1540.

In 1418 there's no delay when filtering in OFIW and FSIW.

In 1438 the filtering was very laggy, and it was "remedied" by introducing a delay in 1440 (and lowered in 1442).

It would seem that filtering has been improved in 1524 (case=1001), and this brings me to my question.

Is there a way to adjust the delay in 1540? I would like to try and remove it to see if I can get the same responsiveness as in 1418.

I've looked through the registry entries, but can't see anything concerning the delay.

Reference to my post where this issue was discussed: http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4370

Regards,
Rasmus

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many items do you have in these lists? The title bar gives you the filtered size and full size of the lists.

The delay in filtering is related to the size of the list, the longer the list the longer the delay. From memory the delays are hard coded, but off hand I do not remember the values.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Rasmuss

33 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  03:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

How many items do you have in these lists? The title bar gives you the filtered size and full size of the lists.

OFIW: 6079
FSIW: 180373

quote:

The delay in filtering is related to the size of the list, the longer the list the longer the delay. From memory the delays are hard coded, but off hand I do not remember the values.

Yes, I remember that from when the delay was originally introduced. But the delay was introduced before the improvements in 1524, and if the improvements brings the filtering back to 1418 speeds, then it would be fantastic to get instant filtering without delay.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2006 :  2:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you give some estimate of the delay you are seeing? using VS2003 and VA 1540 with 3135 files OFIW I type, and in considerably less than a second OFIW starts filtering, which is very close to instantaneous.

Go to Top of Page

Rasmuss

33 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  03:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can you give some estimate of the delay you are seeing? using VS2003 and VA 1540 with 3135 files OFIW I type, and in considerably less than a second OFIW starts filtering, which is very close to instantaneous.

Ok, I really wasn't going for a long discussion on how close to instantaneous it is. I just wanted to know if it was adjustable

But yes, it is almost instantaneous. But it's still an annoyance for me. And considering that in 1418 it worked perfectly I can't see why the way it worked there could not be investigated, and the newer builds could be fixed according to how it worked in 1418.

But as I mentioned, it seems like you have improved it (case=1001), so I was merely interested in seeing if it was improved to 1418 level, and in trying to see that the delay has to be removed.
Go to Top of Page

Rasmuss

33 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  03:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and here's the post where Sean explains how the delays are implemented:

quote:
Originally posted by sean

In 1440, the OFIW delay is fixed at 200 ms and the FSIW delay is 500 ms.

This will be changed so that it is context-sensitive based on the size of the search set.

If less than 1000 files, OFIW will have no delay. It will step up to 100, 150 and finally a max of 200 ms (<3000, <5000 and 5000+ files).

If less than 1000 symbols, FSIW will have no delay. It will step up to 100, 200, 300, 400 and finally a max of 500 ms (<10000, <20000, etc).

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4162
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  1:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first couple of posts in this thread explain why this was done. Given the size of your lists, FSIW in particular, I would have thought there was always some slight delay when typing a longer filter, and this built in delay helped. Do you ever use more complex filters?

Adding "remove these items" is a very good way of slowing down the filtering, and makes more sense of this delay.

Go to Top of Page

Rasmuss

33 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  04:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The first couple of posts in this thread explain why this was done. Given the size of your lists, FSIW in particular, I would have thought there was always some slight delay when typing a longer filter, and this built in delay helped. Do you ever use more complex filters?

No, I don't use complex filters. But since you mentioned it I've gone through all versions after 1418 (which I've been using until recently) to see where the "film broke" .

And indeed it was in 1430 with the introduction of advanced filtering:

quote:
History of Changes and Fixes - Build 1430

# New! OFIW and FSIW dialogs support multiple strings for advanced filtering. (case=80) 4076, 3939, 3232, 2354

The interesting part is that the filtering is only noticable in FSIW, whereas OFIW still filters instantly in 1430 even with advanced filtering.

So it seems like the hardcoded delay introduced in 1440 is only really necessary for FSIW, since OFIW isn't affected as much.

Since the majority of my discomfort comes from OFIW, since that's what I use the most, it would be great to be able to turn of the hardcoded delay.

Alternatively it would be nice to be able to turn off advanced filtering, and/or the hardcoded delay, for FSIW and OFIW.

quote:

Adding "remove these items" is a very good way of slowing down the filtering, and makes more sense of this delay.

I have looked through all settings, but I can't find anything called "remove these items". What are you referring to?
Go to Top of Page

Rasmuss

33 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  04:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I think about it, it seems like you're always running the regex (or whatever mechanism you use) even when there are no special characters like space, denoting advanced filtering.

A solution would be to filter using pre 1430 mechanism when not encountering any spaces, and without the hardcoded delay. And if spaces are used then use the advanced filtering and hardcoded delay.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  10:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by "remove these items" i was referring to using a minus sign to say "remove items matching this pattern from the list".

The code for more complex filtering should only be triggered if there is at least once space in the filtering string.

I have put in a feature request to disable this delay, but this is not a high priority change.

case=3560

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  9:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Case 3560 is fixed in build 1541.

Edited by - support on Nov 24 2006 9:25:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic