Technical Support
 Running second instance of IDE fails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Sixpack

9 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  4:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running a second instance of the VisualStudio 2003 IDE results in a "Maximum Use Reached" dialog.

We have a 5 seat license used by 5 different people on five different computerts. I can launch my first instance just fine. Launching a second instance results in the above mentioned dialog.

According to the license agreement and http://docs.wholetomato.com?W125 "Mutliple [sic] instances of an IDE on one PC count as one user."

After selecting OK all the VA items are grayed out.

About Info==>
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1541.0 built 2006.11.20
Licensed to:
VA X: {email address omitted} (5-user license) Support ends 2007.09.18
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.4.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.6
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.6030.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Edited by - Joe Sixpack on Jan 30 2007 12:01:16 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  4:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to double check here, you are launching a second instance on the same computer?

The licence check is done when VA loads, but this does not explain why you are getting this effect. The first running IDE uses one licence, so there should be no problem when you run a second licence.

Has this problem only just started happening?
Has anyone installed VA on a new machine recently?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Joe Sixpack

9 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  4:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the second instance is on the same computer, same user account, ect.

I agree, since the first instance is working other instances should work too, but they are not :(

I first noticed the problem last Friday. I don't run multiple instances everyday, but probably at least once a week. It is happening for me and at least one of the other users, we are both running 10.3.1541.0. There is at least one person it is not happening for, they are running 10.2.144.0.

I don't know if someone recently installed on a new machine, but it is very possible. The 5 users are in separate locations connected by a VPN.

Edited by - Joe Sixpack on Jan 29 2007 4:51:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  03:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just FYI: Since our About Info is almost identical (same Windows version, same IDE version, 2 processor system) I checked this on our system as I know at least one of our users is working with two (or more!) IDEs at the same time occasionally, and encountered no problems. I tried the four different methods of opening the IDE that I know of and ended up with four working IDEs and no VA warning whatsoever.

The only real difference I see is that we're using builds 1538 and 1543 respectively (not sure which is installed on each of the other computers). Oh, and we don't have those MWOffice includes, but I don't think they could cause these problems.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is being discussed via email. I believe the problem is related to how the licence check is working, or not working, on this particular network.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Sixpack

9 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  12:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem turned out to be someone launching the IDE on a laptop while disconnected from the network. When the laptop was plugged into the network the license limit was exceeded. This is causing VA to fail when a second instance of the IDE is run even though a first instance is running successfully on the same computer.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  1:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An unfortunate side effect of how our licence check works. At least now you know where the extra licence is being used, which is good.

Go to Top of Page

pfrants

2 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  05:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand the exact scenario.

Let's assume 1 out of 5 licenses is in use on machine X

- Start IDE on disconnected laptop
- Plug laptop into network
- License limit is exceeded? Or only if 4 licenses were already in use?
- Any subsequent IDE start on X fails?
- Any subsequent IDE start on any other machine fails?

Could you describe the exact scenario and how to avoid it?

Patrick
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  12:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In this case there are 5 licences, 5 desktop machines and one laptop (not currently on the network), so 6 machines in total.
Load one IDE on each machine, you have now used 6 licences, so you have exceeded your licence count. But since the laptop is not on the network the licence check does not know this, so there are no problems.

When you connect the laptop to the network all 6 machines are visible. VA does the licence count check when you load VA, so when you load the IDE.

If you now load a second instance of the IDE on any one of these machines, or on machine number 7 then the licence check will fail.

Does this make sense?
The core problem is running VA on to many machines, but it shows up in an "odd" way, since the number of instances of VA on the network is changing unexpectedly. If all machines were always on the network then you would not have this problem.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000