New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  10:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For example, on new .cpp file I'm trying to type 'namespace' but in suggestion list, after typing 'name', I see only "NAME", "NAME_STATE", "NameUnknown", and "NameUserPrincipal", but there are no "namespece" case.

Similar, when I'm typing "continue", I can see anything but no "continue".

(Note: I'm user latest VAX 10.3.1548).

IAF

sl@sh
Tomato Guru

Switzerland
204 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  12:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The suggestion listbox that automatically pops up only suggests words that you have used recently. Reserved words are no exception. So if you refer to members of a particular namespace a lot, you'd need to type out the first "namespace", but afterwards it will be presented on the suggestion list.

Same goes for continue, although it is unlikely you will use that keyword multiple times in short order, so will be of less use.

VAX is designed to help you whereever it sensibly can. However, it avoids suggestions that might be helpful only on rare occasions, and otherwise only serve to clog up the suggestion listbox and thus slow down the editing process.

If you stumble upon a case where you think 'VAX should suggest "xy" at this point', consider how many users would consider such a suggestion useful at such a point , and how often - in relation to how many users will find this suggestion annoyingly stupid. It is often a decision that is hard to make.

If after such reconsidering you still think VAX should suggest this, feel free to post it. The right place would be the Suggestions Forum though, since what is and what isn't on the suggestion list boxes is mostly guesswork and can hardly be considered a bug
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  1:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very solid reply sl@sh

Ivan see the documentation here: http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.asp

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  02:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, solid reply.
But, to be honest, I had never used "NAME", "NAME_STATE", "NameUnknown", and "NameUserPrincipal" before. Why VAX suggests them? Looks like it suggest latest parsed, but not used, items!

IAF
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  12:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> suggestions -> Include bits of code from surrounding lines

turned on? This would help explain what you are seeing.

From the outside what turns up in a suggestion listbox can be a bit "odd", but generally they are remarkably helpful, and I mainly use these, only dropping back to Completion listboxes when I am using something "odd" or unusual.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000