Technical Support
 It's gone South!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sitnduck

47 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  2:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using Visual Assist for a few months now, and after being thoroughly impressed, I'm starting to have trouble with a lot of its functionality not working.

My clearest example is that I have a source file, and as I am looking into the VA View window, I can SEE all the member variables. However, when I type the first two letters of variable names ("m_"), I only get two or three of the five-member variables, and they all have a "?" next to them, meaning it's probably a guess, not based on the actual class!

I am having a couple of inconsistencies all over the place. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the latest build but nothing helped.

My version info is:
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1549.0 built 2007.03.16
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.4.8
VATE.dll version 1.0.6.2

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  4:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The listbox with the question mark icons is a suggestion listbox, which, as you say, is a guess. Press CTRL-SPACE to convert this to a completion listbox. Or if you do not like these they can be turned off.

Personally I love them, but they are not designed to list all members for a class. They are designed to help you type quickly and accurately. To turn them off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> suggestions -> display suggestion list and accept with:

To learn more about them:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.asp

What other sorts of problems are you seeing?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sitnduck

47 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  5:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I thought it would resort to guesses only if it didn't find members, or in addition to members. Now it only seems to rely on guesses. I guess I didn't realize it had to be one or the other.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  08:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The basic idea of suggestion listboxes is that you tend to re-type the same symbol (variable, type, function) several times in quick succession when programming.

So VA suggests recent symbols, so you don't have to retype them. It can, and will, suggest things that will never turn up in a completion listbox, for example ", " or other small pieces of code.

Does this make sense? It is not supposed to replace completion listboxes, instead it is supposed to help.

Go to Top of Page

sitnduck

47 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  01:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense, this is what I thought it was.

NOW, it really means I am getting a BUG! When my cursor is in a file, I see all the symbols in the VA View window, but nothing shows up on auto complete (now that I've turned suggestions off!).

I tried reinstalling, but to no avail; it seems terminally confused!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  08:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?
Which language are you programming in?

When you press CTRL-SPACE does this produce a completion listbox? If so does it contain useful and correct items?

Are you seeing the same problems in different files, or is this only happening in one file?

Go to Top of Page

sitnduck

47 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using Visual Studio 2003, C++.
My version info is:
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1549.0 built 2007.03.16
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.4.8
VATE.dll version 1.0.6.2

When I hit ctrl-space, I get a large list of elements (it looks like the regular Visual Studio auto complete). The crazy thing is that the VA View window is updating to show the right file I am in, but doesn't spontaneously show any completion options (other than suggestions it picks up from surrounding code)...
Go to Top of Page

sitnduck

47 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info: I am getting the VA View window to update by HOVERING over the class name in the editor window.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  1:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the feeling we are talking about different things.

VA View, and its bottom section, this shows you information about a class, enum, etc. But it is not designed to offer you real time suggestions as you are typing. It is designed to act as a reference guide. See here for information on the HCB:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/hcb.asp

When you press CTRL-SPACE are you getting the right things suggested? Or are the items listed wrong?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000