New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  06:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

At one point, I'm sure that VAX provided a Ctrl+Space facility in text files that guessed what you wanted by just looking at the other strings in the file. (This is like vim's Ctrl+N, emacs's M-/, and, indeed, like what VAX does when you're typing comments in a c++ file.)

Doesn't seem to happen any more though! I for one quite miss it. Can we have it back?!

Along the same lines, another useful facility would be to have VAX do the same in files of types that you have configured in Tools, Options, Text Editor, File Extension, to have a more C++y "Editing Experience".

(It would also be nice if this used the C/C++ notion of "word", so you didn't end up with completions that had a trailing comma or punctuation (etc.) like you do inside comments sometimes.)

The rationale for this: currently I have Visual Studio set up to provide a C++ "Editing Experience" for a couple of scripting languages I use that are syntactically close enough to C to make it worthwhile. It works relatively well, and (compared to switching between VS and emacs) it is pretty convenient. But I do miss the word completion.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember when this used to work? I have just tried this in VA 1301 and it is not working for me.

This is an interesting idea, but I am a little worried about the large number of requests it would generate. I can see people wanting alt-m to do file navigation, alt-g to work, etc.

I know this, since I have been working with VBScript recently, and I have already been thinking about getting the full power of VA in VBScript editing

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  10:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember when it used to work I'm afraid. I have a vague memory of it being round about when I was last unemployed -- don't ask me what makes me think this?? -- so that would be summer of 2003 or so?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000