Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  12:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I upgraded to build 1555, and I am seeing an annoying "new feature". If I highlight and drag a variable to the watch window, the line that contains that variable gets positioned to the top or bottom of the edit window. This behavior also happens for certain other actions - i.e the active line gets moved to the edge of the edit window.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  3:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What IDE and programming language are you using?

using VS2005 and VA 1555 and C++ when I try and drag a variable to the watch window all that happens is that I select code.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  3:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1555.0 built 2007.04.26
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.4
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.1
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  5:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same effect here, now I have worked out how to drag variables into the watch window. I did not know you could do that.

case=6368

Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  12:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also see this effect, and bacause it shows up also in other situation like dragging selected text to an other location in the same source file it's realy annoying. So i would suggest to give this case a high priority.

thanks
m.schoenherr
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  10:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This specific bug is high priority since it is a regression. Is the problem when dragging selected text in the same source file new, or have you been seeing this for a while?

Off the top of my head I do not remember any reports for this bug. I do remember a scrolling problem in VC6 involving two or more floating windows, which required a fairly specific set of circumstances to reproduce.

Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  01:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@feline:
the problem while dragging in the same source file is new. i have no specific pattern when it occurse, it seems to occure more often if i drag the text a larger distance
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  3:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE are you using?

using VC6 and VA 1555 I have just tried dragging a block of comments 20 times. This was a mixture of dragging up and down the file, sometimes scrolling all the way from the top to the bottom, or vice versa, and sometimes no scrolling at all.

I have not seen any problems with the code jumping.

Are you seeing this every time you drag? If only some of the time how often are you seeing this problem?

I am wondering if there is a specific setting I need turned on / off, or something specific I need to do to reproduce this.

Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  12:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@feline:
vc6 vax1555:
i see this not very often, but if the dragging "bug" occurse it is nearly 100% reproducable. Closing/Reopening the file fixes it.

Edited by - schoenherr on May 08 2007 12:18:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  12:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*sigh* I dislike bugs like this, it is so hard to get a handle on them.

Next time this starts happening could you turn on VA logging, reproduce the problem, and then send me the log? This might offer some clues.

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  1:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing this one also. The times that it typically shows up is after I have modified a file, then hit a key to do a build (which also saves the file). It doesn't happen every time and I have not found the exact sequence to recreate, but it is more than occasional and is really annoying. This seems to be a new "feature" in 1555.

Running VAX 1555 in eVC 4.0.

Stan

Art is the zen of being one too

Stan
Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  2:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More details: Modify a file, then select F7 (build). The current line jumps to the bottom of the edit window. VAX 1555, eVC 4.0. Happens often.

Stan
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  3:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stan: does saving the file before pressing F7 make a difference in the behavior?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stan I am wondering if there is a connection with this thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6206

Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  10:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered that myself. So far I have done a save then build several times without it happening. So far every time it has happened has been: modify file then hit F7 (build). I will continue testing.

Stan
Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  7:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More details: I typed a character in a file that was not checked out. eVC asked if I wanted to check the file out. When I said yes, the current line jumped to the bottom when the file was checked out. So it is not just when a build is requested (and the open file is saved) but also when a file is checked out (and changed from read only to writable).

Stan
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  08:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you running any utilities / system scanners that might be scanning files every time they change? I am thinking anti-virus, spyware scanners, anything else like that.

This is a wild guess, but it is almost as if something is happening to "interrupt" VA. Saving the file, checking the file out, both are tied to changing the file on the hard drive.

Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  08:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also seen the behavior when I modify a file and then hit F7 to compile. The line with the cursor ends up at the top or bottom of the screen. I know this is not necessarily new information, but it is one more machine exhibiting the behavior.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  09:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the scroll problem in VC6 on F7.

case=6502

Since I was unable to reproduce the other scroll problems I had not rushed to test this one *sigh* But now I have it is easy to reproduce.

Go to Top of Page

sjaffe
Ketchup Master

USA
60 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  3:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found if I have the cursor at the start of a line in a file that is not checked out, when I press the enter key the line will move to the bottom and I get the prompt asking if I want to check out the file. This is almost 100% of the time (VAX 1555, eVC 4.0).

Stan
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  6:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem occurs whenever VA attempts to sync up the edit buffer and the editor no longer has focus. We're working on it.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  12:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fixed in build 1557

Edited by - support on May 31 2007 12:43:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  1:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing this kind of behavior again with build 1609. Two things:

* Sometimes if I highlight and drag code, the edit window shifts up or down some. I can't describe exactly how much, but it appears to be re-centering.

* When I use incremental search, focus switches back from the incremental search field to the edit window, so that I end up typing in the edit window instead. This seems a somewhat time-dependent phenomenon - the slower I type in the incremental search field, the more likely it is to happen

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1609.0 built 2007.09.14
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.1
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.6000.16386
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6000
2 processors

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  2:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets start with the incremental search problem, that sounds easier to reproduce.

How easily can you reproduce this? I have just tried this, waiting many seconds between each key press, up to 60 seconds between two key presses, and keyboard focus always stayed in the incremental search field.

Do you have any other plugin's installed?
When focus returns to the editor what text is showing in the IDE status bar?

Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2007 :  5:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a number of other addins - cvsin, wndtabs, etc. I'll try and narrow it down and see if the problem occurs when they are disabled. Unfortunaletly, this is another intermittent problem, which makes it harder to nail...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  12:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had a few other reports of scrolling / jumping in VC6, but normally they are tied to very specific conditions and triggers.

Any further information you can provide would certainly be useful.

Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2007 :  4:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with incremental search is happening again. I don't know what triggers it, but when it happens, I hit Ctrl+I (which is bound to search incremental), and wait. Initially, the prompt for search incremental comes up, then I see a message saying VAX parsing "filename" - the name of the file that currently has focus, and then search incremental is gone and I have a ready status message in its place.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can reproduce this problem with CTRL-I by doing the following:

Add a new local variable to a function, so there is an "interesting" code change that VA will want to know about
Press CTRL-I to start incrimental search mode very quickly, so before VA has reparsed the file

Now after a second or two I see what you describe, VA reparses the file, the status bar updates, and the incremental search is cancelled. I have put in a bug report for this:

case=9370

Does this seem to be what is happening for you?

If so then this is something, but I am not seeing any scrolling or screen repositioning going on.

Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  5:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With respect to the incremental search, the behavior you are seeing is the same as what I see. It happens to me sometimes even if the file associated with the current window has been saved. Other times, incremental search works fine - I have no idea how VAX gets itself in the broken mode, or why it thinks it needs to reparse the file. But the outcome is the same...

w.r.t. to the dragging code issue / screen repositioning, I had thought initially that the two phenomena were related. But it does not appear to be the case any more. The code dragging problem also only happens some of the time - I'll try to figure out what the common factor is as to when it happens.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  6:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incremental search, it is possible for VA to decide it needs to parse an unmodified file. For example if this is the first time VA has seen the file, it needs to parse it before it knows what to make of it.

You should mainly only see this problem after modifying the current file though. If you wait for a couple of seconds before triggering the incremental find (to give VA time to parse the file) then you should be fine.

Any clues that you can offer on the code dragging issue will be most useful.

Go to Top of Page

beylevem
Tomato Guru

102 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2007 :  6:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I experience the incremental search problem, it doesn't just happen once - I can repeat the cycle by hitting Ctrl+I again, and VA parses the file again....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000