Moving pre-parsed folders to other location
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Demian_

2 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings...

Folders which contains pre-parsed data for projects are placed into the %USERPROFILE% directory tree for versions 1548 or above.
Is there a way to change settings of VAX to keep pre-parced data in other folders? For example in VAX program folder as was in earlier versions.

Thanks in advance...

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. The folders were moved to the %USERPROFILE% directory tree to fix permissions and access problems, especially under Vista where the VA often does not have access to write to its install directory.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Demian_

2 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is "No", mean that every user MUST keep it own copy of pre-cached data on disk in %USERPROFILE% folder tree, and there is no possibility to assign folder for pre-cached data common for all users of computer, i.e. to special folder with full access granted to all users or to group of users?
For example we have few computers, where few users have different profiles, but works together with same project, and with new VAX need to keep few copy of pre-cached data and loose more time to reparse sources, because reparse done by previous user is not actual to another user.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  11:40:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently there is no way to tell VA to store these files anywhere else. I see the problem you are having here, and I have put in a feature request to allow you to tell VA which directory to use for these directories:

case=6795

Understanding why you wanted to move the files helps, sometimes people just want to do things "because they can".

Thinking about this, under a UNIX system I would just "link" the directories together, so there was only one "real" directory on the hard drive, with all of VA's files in it, and all of the other directories simply pointed to it. After a bit of searching I found this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Junction.mspx

I probably should have just started at sysinternals and skipped the web search

I have never tried this myself, but in theory this should "just" work until we make this change to VAX.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  02:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=6795 is implemented in Build 1614
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: