I have to blow the symbol DB nearly every day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rogojin

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  4:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I transport my dev tree back and forward between 2 machines for day and night work, and usually once I've updated a machine with my latest sources, and I load up an IDE (VS 2005 SP1, running 1555), my disk goes wild, thrashing about for a long time. The IDE status bar tells me VA is reparsing source files, but very slowly. During that time, my IDEs are pretty unusable. I usually just kill the symbol DBs and have them rebuilt. The rebuild process is much smoother than what appears to be an incremental update- the full rebuild happens faster and my disk doesn't go crazy. I suspect this problem has something to do with the fact that I'm transporting my entire dev tree from machine to machine- but I do not transport my VA symbol cache (in docs&settings/blah..u know where it is). Anyway- this should not be a problem. I'm willing to try help profile it if you want. I'm trying 1577 now, but I don't read anything about this on your changelog.
As an aside, and I mentioned this before- I really wish you guys would focus on making the thing more robust against C++. I know it's a very hard problem, but that's why we buy the thing. I very often have no method/member completion. Very often. And I don't do a lot of strange template stuff. Just a fairly large codebase of fairly regular C++ (about 500k lines).

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  02:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rogojin,

I'm sorry you're having these performance issues. Your workflow doesn't seem that out of the ordinary, so let's see if we can get to the bottom of the bottleneck. Please provide the following information:

What are your settings on the Performance node of the VA X options dialog?
Use the Copy Info button on the About node of the VA X options dialog to post your machine configuration.
What is your CPU speed, physical RAM, total disk space and free disk space?
Once you've rebuilt the symbol cache, do you still find that you're not offered member completion information?

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

rogojin

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  03:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Performance options are:
* Keep symbols in memory
* Parse all files...
* Enable Auto Recovery

Machine config:
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1557.0 built 2007.05.29
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (1-user license) Support ends 2008.07.03
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.6
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Consolas 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.3790.3959
Windows Server 2003 5.2 Build 3790 Service Pack 2
2 processors

I have 4GB ram, 2GHZ athlon 64 dual core. 6 gigs free on my dev partition and 30 gigs free on my partition where VA keeps its symbols.

And after the symbols have been rebuilt, everything is generally very good. Completion works well then. I've tried deleting the NCB files occasionally, but I'm not sure whether that has much effect. Another thing-- the problem seems to be compounded if I have many IDEs open. Particularly, if the one IDE is performing an update, and the others are all waiting for it to flush, then the others are pretty much unusuable. Huge typing latencies, very bad system response in general.. etc. I mean my whole system basically crawls util I 'pskill devenv', and delete docs&settings\\VisualAssist\\VC8.

Would it help if I turned logging on after doing a sync?

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  04:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rogojin,

Well, your machine doesn't suck, so let's look elsewhere :) The Windows 2003 Server OS is the only part of your configuration that even raises an eyebrow. While I'm not an IT expert, I know that server OSes can be tuned to prevent rogue applications from spoiling the fun for everyone by sucking up too much of the machine's resources. Is it possible that devenv.exe is being unnecessarily throttled by the server OS?

Yes, logging will help. Log with a single IDE open to keep things simple. Make sure your IDE is not configured to load your last solution at startup, then turn on debug logging before loading your solution (see http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305 for instructions). Post the results using our support form at www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp . Logging will no doubt make parsing even slower, so please start the process before going out to lunch and let the machine finish reparsing if possible. Thanks!

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company

Edited by - kevinsikes on Jul 06 2007 04:36:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

rogojin

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  04:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
My OS is not really Server 2003- that's just the string that XP x64 spits out.. the two came from the same code base. But I will do as you say- and post a log once I have one that demonstrates the bad behaviour.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000