Feature Requests
 Long Function Documentation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Jones

6 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  10:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive been using visual assist for just under a year, i hate to program without it now

currently, im documenting all my classes/functions of my project for use with doxygen (generates html (or other formats) of documentation for your project), and this makes the comments before some functions and classes very long, i noticed that visual assist cuts off the comments after a certain number of lines, it just puts a ...

is it possible to turn that off so it displays all of the comments in the tooltip, i couldnt find any options to do so. if not, would it be possible to add an option to view all of the comment.

thanks

Chris

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  2:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of playing devil's advocate, what happens when the comment block on a function is 100 lines tall? Most comments won't be this big, but I have seen the occasional class, or structurally important function end up with massive comments, since there is a need to explain a complex "why".

Is it the length of the lines, or the number of lines, in these comments that is causing the problem for you?

How big is the largest comment you would hope to fit into a tooltip? We don't really want to try and produce tooltips that are taller than most monitors

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Chris Jones

6 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  06:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the fast reply

ive just tried it with a few of the larger and smaller comments, it seems that if its longer than 7 lines long, it cuts the rest off, depending on the length though, sometimes it cuts off a bit less.

i cant imagine ever needing comments that takes the whole screen, with this much documentation it surely becomes a tutorial or should be placed somewhere else? some of my comments are just under 20 lines long, this includes alot of empty lines (just with a * at the start of it, this is part of doxygen comments) for readability.

also this isnt just in my project, we use several other libraries in ours, some are documented well, and their comments gets cut off too

maybe it would be possible to be able to choose the number of lines to display at most, rather than an on/off setting?

thanks

Chris
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  2:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On one memorable occasion at my old job I ended up with an ASCII art class diagram inside a comment, explaining the class hierarchy, and why I was doing what I was doing. That produced a rather large comment!

At that job a more common situation was a long comment referencing specific rules and points in specific versions of various specification documents to explain why the code was doing what ever strange thing it was doing. You had to go check the spec before you could consider changing the code.

I am glad I don't deal with that code base any more

I have put in a feature request to show more of the comment, since clearly this will help, so long as we don't remove all limits:

case=7920

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Chris Jones

6 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  2:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks! it will be very usefull

Chris
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts