Exlude dirs in "open file in workspace"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blq

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to be able to exclude (and perhaps also explicitly include) directories for the "open file in workspace" functionality. Due to my current project structure I get too many duplicates.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  08:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OFIW should only list files that are part of your solution. Do you mean you have duplicate file names in your solution, stored in different directories?

You can exclude items from the OFIW list as you filter. For example the filter foo bar -test will list all files containing "foo" and "bar" while excluding all file names containing "test".

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

blq

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  09:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently I have directories in the hierarchy that contains distribution snapshots of the code. I forgot to mention its the case of .js files, which aren't included in the solution the same way as .cs files, which works fine, are.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  10:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OFIW is not designed to filter on the file path, as you have noticed. You can sort the list on the "Path" column, which should help a bit.

Is removing these snapshots from the main solution, and placing them into a separate solution an option?

Go to Top of Page

blq

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  11:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, yes the obvious solution is to restructure the project, but due to legacy dependencies, version control etc it not "convenient".. I figured the feature cold be useful to remove "noise", 3rd party libs etc, and also be relatively simple to implement on your side. Its kindof similar to the C++ stable include dirs function for example, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  12:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really. The stable include directories tell VA "look here for included files you cannot find", but they are not actually part of the solution.

The standard advice for 3rd party libraries is to add them to the stable include directories, so they are not actually part of the solution, so they are not listed in the VA dialogs.

OFIW is designed to show you all of the files in the solution, and is very useful when you are trying to find a specific file somewhere in one of the 92 projects that make up your current solution.

Simply changing the filtering rule to also filter on the directory name is not going to help, since this will "break" the filtering for most users.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000