nothing happens when i press ( or /
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or any of these characters: !"$%&/()=*#'~{}[]\
when i disable VAX, everything works as expected again.
but when VAX is active, i can't enter any ( or / into my code any more.
using cut&paste works as a workaround, but of course is very awkward!

aargh! whats up? only happens in one file it seems.
going to try to reset the database

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  1:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Do you have the IDE setting:

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents.

turned on? There is a known problem where brackets are sometimes sent to the wrong file if this setting is turned on. This is actually an IDE bug, it is reporting the wrong file as the active file, and we are trying to find a reliable fix in VAX.

Unfortunately we do not yet have one, but turning off this option fixes the problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  2:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi feline,

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" = not checked

I noticed it worked again after restarting Visual Studio.
but it happened again just a few minutes ago. really annoying!
Also the brackets don't appear anywhere else, it is just that nothing happens at all. I can happily type any non-bracket chars, just those that VAX might intercept will get ignored.

Version info follows:

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1624.0 built 2007.12.07
Licensed to:
VA X: [...] (1-user license) Support ends 2009.01.07
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.879
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
4 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
[...]

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  2:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happens if you disable VA?

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

Does typing these characters work in notepad, or any other program? What about in VA or IDE dialogs?

Go to Top of Page

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  08:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i wrote in my first post:
"when i disable VAX, everything works as expected again."

In Notepad etc. no problems also.
However, it didn't occur anymore since last week.

Good for me, but bad for fixing this :-(
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  10:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very strange. I am glad the problem has gone away. Hopefully this will stay fixed.

Go to Top of Page

znakeeye
Tomato Guru

379 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  05:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See my latest post. I got the same problem!
Go to Top of Page

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  06:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update:

one of my coworkers had the same problem today, in one sourcefile he couldn't enter "("

-> his resolution was to uninstall VAX :-(

i suspect this happens when VAX is trying to find a parameter list, but some problem turns up. Instead of doing nothing in this case, VAX eats up the entered "("
Go to Top of Page

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
btw. he was using version 1626, so unlike what is being told in this thread http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7278 Version 1626 doesn't fix this.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA 1626 contained a couple of fixes for crashes / hangs. What you are describing is a different problem, so I am not surprised that VA 1626 did not fix it.

If you co-worked installs VA 1640 does this fix the problem?

At a wild guess, if this typing problem is file specific then VA's parser may be having problems with the file. We would need to try and run some tests, first of all to see if the problem was consistent.

Go to Top of Page

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  1:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this particular problem happens rarely, but when it happens, it is annoying as hell. i don't think it is a direct result of our source because when it happened at my coworker, he was trying to edit a file that i submitted to SVN earlier and i had no problems editing it.

As a hint, we're using Qt here and it seems VAX is having a hard time with Qt sources in general. (lots of preprocessor usage)

If there is anything i can do to pin this down, when it happens the next time, let me know
Go to Top of Page

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  1:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm something odd - VAX should have had all that he needed right there in the file that was being edited:

// excerpt from the file following:

#define ADD_SCORE(id,text) addStatusAndScoringLabel(EsID::id,#id,text)

void EsgGuiData::init()
{
ADD_SCORE // tried to enter ( here - nothing happened
}
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  3:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a FAQ entry for QT users, this may helps a little:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W310

>ADD_SCORE // tried to enter ( here - nothing happened
You mean you press '(' but it do not appears?
I just tried it, and it worked for me: '(' and the param. info tooltip appeared.
When you restart visual studio, and you go to the same location, is this happening again?

> one of my coworkers had the same problem today, in one sourcefile he couldn't enter "("
> -> his resolution was to uninstall VAX :-(
It means, f.e. restarting Visual Studio didn't helped at all?

I think it worth to try 1640, it contains a LOT of fixes since 1626.

Edited by - accord on Jun 19 2008 3:23:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  05:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>>ADD_SCORE // tried to enter ( here - nothing happened
>You mean you press '(' but it do not appears?
Yes, exactly. At the moment it works for me on my machine here, too.

But when it happens, closing the source file and reopening it doesn't help.
I'm not 100% sure, but i think restarting VS doesn't help either.
The only thing that i think helps, is rebuilding the symbol database.

>> -> his resolution was to uninstall VAX :-(
>It means, f.e. restarting Visual Studio didn't helped at all?
No, it means that he lost patience with VAX.

And i have to partially agree: VAX shouldn't behave like that.
When it can't understand some parts of the code (or whatever the reason for this bug is), it's ok if tooltips no longer appear.
But VAX should never, never "eat up" keyboard events like that - this is very, very annoying.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  08:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that these are serious problems.

We have various users who work with Qt, and I am not aware of general problems with VA and Qt. I worked with VA and Qt 3.x for several years very successfully.

So this suggests that there is something unusual about your code base, or your environment that is causing these problems. We need to find out what is going on before we can fix it.

The problem where you cannot type, until this happens again I am not sure what to say. I have seen reports, a long time ago, where users were unable to type brackets at a certain place in a specific file. These problems were due to our parser having problems with the specific code in that file. So it is possible something like that is happening here.

The fact rebuilding the symbol database helps is interesting. Do you often work with more than one IDE open at the same time?

Are you currently seeing reproducible problems with VA's ability to parse and understand your code? If so can you describe the problem you are seeing so I can try to reproduce it here?

Go to Top of Page

spark

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  8:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VAX (1640) with Visual Studio 2008 and am experiencing similar problems. I can't pinpoint the issue to any one thing. I did notice that it tends to creep in after seeing 1 or more "Visual Studio has encountered an error" messages while debugging---hitting F12 seems to reliably produce the VS error message. I can't decide if it's a VAX problem or a VS2008 problem. Either way, it's becoming quite a nuisance.

Sarah Park
Software Engineer
Chief Architect, Inc
http://www.chiefarchitect.com
Go to Top of Page

Zandru

10 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  1:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm using VS2005 SP1 here, so i doubt it's a VS issue.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  6:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spark does your solution use Qt? Have you seen any other pattern to this problem? Does it seem to be file specific?

Zandru there are some improvements to Qt parsing in the next version of VA which we are hoping to post fairly soon. This might help to limit the problem.

Go to Top of Page

spark

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  9:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

spark does your solution use Qt? Have you seen any other pattern to this problem? Does it seem to be file specific?

Zandru there are some improvements to Qt parsing in the next version of VA which we are hoping to post fairly soon. This might help to limit the problem.

I don't think Qt has anything to do with this problem. We use a mix of WX and Microsoft Resources. The situation tends to occur when I have many (20+) files open in VS2008. The feacp.dll was disabled (renamed) to prevent Intellisense from mucking up performance. My coworkers have experienced the same problem Those that I've talked to have disabled Intellisense via renaming the dll. I recently changed from renaming that dll to using Macros to disable Intellisense but have not had enough time to determine if the problem has really gone away.

It feels like VAX is becoming bogged down with too much data to parse/cache/look up/etc as I work because in addition too not being able to type any parentheses (or other C++ relevant symbols), go to definition, find references, <insert VAX tool here> ceases to work as well. My whole system seems to drag on until I close all the windows and restart VS.

I also use a ViEmu VS plug-in, but that has no relevance in this situation since not everyone who experiences this problem uses ViEmu.

I have never experienced this issue using VS2005. Of course, I disabled VS2005's Intellisense by naming a directory with the same name and extension as the ncb file for the project. I'd disable Intellisense the same way for VS2008, but the directory workaround renders the Resource View useless.

Hope that helps.

Sarah Park
Software Engineer
Chief Architect, Inc
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  10:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clearly you are running into a lot of problems here. Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Can you try running Process Explorer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

and turn on the CPU History column (under Process Performance). This shows the CPU history for each running process. Can you also turn on the "Working Set Size" column (under Process Memory) which gives the total amount of memory being used.

I am wondering if either of these will give any clues. VA should not get bogged down like this, and 20+ windows is not a number that bothers me. 200+ windows might bother me, but not 20.

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

Go to Top of Page

spark

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  5:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Clearly you are running into a lot of problems here. Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Can you try running Process Explorer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

and turn on the CPU History column (under Process Performance). This shows the CPU history for each running process. Can you also turn on the "Working Set Size" column (under Process Memory) which gives the total amount of memory being used.

I am wondering if either of these will give any clues. VA should not get bogged down like this, and 20+ windows is not a number that bothers me. 200+ windows might bother me, but not 20.

How many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

I removed the email from the Licensed to info. You should have that on file for Chief Architect.

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1640.0 built 2008.05.22
Licensed to:
VA X: [...] (13-user license) Support ends 2009.05.29
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.21022.8
msenv.dll version 9.0.21022.8
Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 11(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.5512
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 3
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;

Number of files: 3293.

I'll run that program for a while and get back to you either tomorrow or Monday.

Sarah Park
Software Engineer
Chief Architect, Inc
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  11:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The email does not matter, I was mainly interested in the machine details I am not seeing anything really odd here. The only thing that stands out is winXP SP3, I am still on SP2. Have you seen this problem before installing winXP SP3? It seems unlikely this would be a factor, but it is possible.

Go to Top of Page

spark

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  12:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The email does not matter, I was mainly interested in the machine details I am not seeing anything really odd here. The only thing that stands out is winXP SP3, I am still on SP2. Have you seen this problem before installing winXP SP3? It seems unlikely this would be a factor, but it is possible.

It's a possibility. I don't recall it ever happening with SP2. Then again, I don't remember if I saw this problem before or after I installed SP3.

Visual Studio chews up 200KB of memory on average (Working Set) but this is standard across the board, VAX or not.

Sarah Park
Software Engineer
Chief Architect, Inc

Edited by - spark on Jul 14 2008 2:17:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  2:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now installed winXP SP3 onto one of my test machines, and I am not seeing any initial problems with VS2008, so it looks like we can rule out this service pack automatically causing wide ranging problems.

200kb of memory is not a worrying figure.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000