New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frunobulax
Ketchup Master

84 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  09:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

here's one thing that is a bit annoying, although it's certainly not a serious problem. I've seen it for a while but was too lazy to report it before.

I have a large solution containing a load of projects, which I use on a regular basis to compile all those libraries in parallel (using Incredibuild). If I have a first instance of VS2005 open and load the "big" solution in a second project, then VAX in the first instance is blocked until VAX has completed parsing in the second IDE - in fact I can't even close the first IDE for that time, which takes a long time (we are talking about half an hour or so).

The problem here is that there is no way of stopping VAX from parsing headers once the parsing has started. Even disabling VAX won't help. I suppose it would be easy to stop VAX from parsing headers if it is disabled?

Regards, tv

"The nice part about being a pessimist
is that you are constantly being either
proven right or pleasantly surprised."
(George F. Will)

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still looking into a couple of issues you raised at http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7160 .

How many files are listed in your 'big' solution (check the title of the VA OFIS dialog)? A half hour of parsing just isn't right.

What languages are used in the solution?

Disabling VA via the VA menu does not stop solution parsing - it disables coloring, commands, command updates, etc. This is by design - since most people don't want to be hit with parsing all at once when VA is enabled. To prevent all parsing, you have to stop VA from loading:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306
Go to Top of Page

Frunobulax
Ketchup Master

84 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sean
How many files are listed in your 'big' solution (check the title of the VA OFIS dialog)? A half hour of parsing just isn't right.

The OFIS dialog shows ~7500 files. The parsing is done in a few minutes if the system is idle - it seems that VAX stops parsing if the system is busy, which is certainly the case if I try to compile 4000 or more files with Incredibuild...

quote:

What languages are used in the solution?

C++ only.

quote:

Disabling VA via the VA menu does not stop solution parsing - it disables coloring, commands, command updates, etc. This is by design - since most people don't want to be hit with parsing all at once when VA is enabled. To prevent all parsing, you have to stop VA from loading:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

Well, using regedit every time I want to open that solution seems rather inconvenient. But as I said, it's no big deal.

Regards, tv

"The nice part about being a pessimist
is that you are constantly being either
proven right or pleasantly surprised."
(George F. Will)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000