Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PederN
Starting Member

Sweden
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  12:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello.

I'm experiencing a problem with Visual Assist X version 10.4.1640.0.
The problem is while I'm working within a file, visual assist constantly reparses the file with every keystroke I do. I guess that is fine since I want it to find out newly declared variables and such. But the problem is, that while it is parsing the file I'm working on, all symbol lookup seem to stop functioning. This results in this for example:

I decalare a new pointer in my code;

CMyPointerThingie *mythinge;

This makes VA reparse the file (which is aprox 1000 lines of code), takes some time and during that time I won't be "assisted" in any way while typing into the IDE.

Once the parsing is complete, I can type:

mythingie-> and get a complete list of member variables and functions, this typing have however cased visual assist to parse the file again, and doing so while I in this example choose a function to call on my declared class. But at this point I would expect visual assist to present me with arguments available to the function, but nooo, since it's still busy parsing my file, I don't get any suggestions at all.

As you can imagine, this is rather counter productive, and at the moment I'm seriously considering going back using intellisense (which I have disabled now with VA of course)

So, I'm merly wondering is this is how it's supposed to be, or if this is a known bug in this particular build, as I haven't ever come across it earlier.

Thanks.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  12:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should not happen. The reparse should take about 0.2 seconds on 1000 lines.

Can you start windows task manager and switch to "Processes" tab to see if a process takes too much CPU while the slow parsing happening?

Which version did you used before 1640?
Which visual studio do you use?
Do you have other plug-ins installed?
Can you try to disable your anti-virus software to see if this helps?

Edited by - accord on Jun 12 2008 12:47:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000