Find symbols from include path
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mwb1100
Ketchup Master

82 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  2:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I want to locate the declaration or definition of a symbol that's declared in a header that's in the include path but not part of the solution (for example, windows.h) so the VA View "Symbols in solution" search box doesn't work.

What I find myself doing is typing the symbol in some source file just so I can do an Alt-G on it. This feels wrong - there's gotta be a better way.

Also, I'd often like to do something similar to open a header file by name for a header that's in the include path but not directly part of the solution.

Basically, I'd like the VA View functionality but also including files in the include path. I'm not necessarily saying that making the VA View search boxes work this way is the right thing (but maybe it is).

Any pointers?

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  3:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried "Find Symbol"?

VAssistX -> Find Symbol...

or press Alt+Shift+S

Here, you can find any symbol (class, function, etc.) in your solution. If you uncheck "Show only symbols defined in current solution" checkbox, this feature will find you any symbols in system headers also (like windows.h)

If you want to find symbols in your own header (non added to the project), it will works only on files that you have already opened and parsed by VAX.

This is because VAX "pre-parsing" a lot of system files, like windows.h, stddef.h, etc.

Personally, I love Find Symbol. It can do a lot of trick for you, for example you can go directly to a member function if you type
classname.functionname
into the editbox.

Edited by - accord on Jun 12 2008 3:42:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  3:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About opening header files by name not part of the solution: there is a free software to do this: http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

..and you can do the Alt+G trick also on files:
#include "header.h" <-- alt+g will open the file even if it is not part of the solution

Edited by - accord on Jun 12 2008 3:53:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

mwb1100
Ketchup Master

82 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  4:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Accord - can't believe I missed that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000